What is a good substitute for peat?

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8b)

I keep reading all the environmental problems that result from the harvest of the peat bogs. Trying to do my part to think green and find other alternatives which might contribute more nutritive value, I now ask the question: What is a good substitute for peat when it comes to matching its abilities to lighten soil and distribute/hold water?

Burwash Weald, United Kingdom(Zone 9b)

There is quite a bit of research going on here in the UK using composted bracken - the trick is how to harvest it - and there is one company up in Scotland that is using haymaking equipment to harvest it as large round bales. The good news is that after a few years of harvesting the plant is weakened and starts dying back, so overgrown pasture areas are being recovered. the bad news is that if what you want is an ongoing crop of bracken......

We cut the bracken in our woodland using a hand scythe - went very fast. We did it in the late spring and in late summer and put it in with the leaf mould to help heat up the pile. It does fill the bin pretty quickly but compresses down within 2 weeks.

Looking through the pile last weekend, and I think the mid-rib might take some time to compost down - I'm thinking about putting it through the shredder next year. That should take up less space, and increase the heat.

there is also a very interesting project, I think up in the Lake district, which is using bracken with sheep fleece to make a peat substitute. The fleeces are fetching such low prices these days that the shepherds are saying it isn't worth shearing. This project is designed to take up some of the extra wool that goes to waste.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/5317358.stm

http://www.dalefootcomposts.co.uk/products.htm

If it isn't available in the US, here's a great opportunity to start a new business.

This message was edited Nov 14, 2007 7:04 AM

This message was edited Nov 14, 2007 7:06 AM

Saylorsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

I have been using coir fiber from the coconut. It is sold by many garden suppliers. Here is one supplier to consider: http://www.planetnatural.com/site/coconut-coir-fiber.html

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Composted or partially composted pine bark fines.

Al

Thumbnail by tapla
Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

Ooooooooh - that's pretty!
I dug some out of one pile the other night to use in a last minute planting.
IMO, it has a great aroma & the consistency/texture is unlike anything else.

I wish it was a High School Science requirement for students to make compost & learn about soil improvement. Good, solid, usable knowledge.

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Well, you can forget that, then!

Although my 7th grade math teacher did show us how to write out checks and balance a check book.

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

With all the moaning about the lack of students interested in math & science, I would think it logical to capture their attention by giving emphasis in subjects that are more hands-on, and have practical application in life. I don't expect the science curriculum to focus primarily on ag-related topics, but certainly there is a way to incorporate this type information.
Of course, if there is no "technology" associated with it, the funding and interest are probably lacking.

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

Katye, one of your Master Gardeners may have something like that to share with the schools. Or you could suggest that as a project to your local Extension agent. That's a wonderful idea! I know we have a kit for explaining water management to children. Hmmm, I haven't picked a volunteer project yet and I like that idea. I'll see what's available. There is a new 4H/ag teacher that's just starting at the local high school. I know he's looking for volunteers to help with their greenhouse. We might be able to add composting and how to do it to the program. Could maybe hook the science and math teachers in as well. Great Idea! I'll see if it's viable.

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

There's a gal in Phoenix who took a defunct greenhouse at the vocational high school she works at and has made it into a viable business as well as a skill-learning center for her lower-functioning kids. Every year they host a "Fall Festival" for local vendors, the Phx Master Gardeners, etc - and they make enough off of that to run the program for the year - greenhouse maintenance, plant care and propagation, etc.

I think that is *so* cool.

Doccat - let me know if you need any info - Mary is a great gal and very helpful (when she can find the time!!!).

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.