Walnuts?

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Can some one tell me what animals eat black walnuts? The walnut trees on our property are in the now fences in area and no one but the squirrels can get to them and we don't eat them.

I'm in Maryland.

Believe it or not, woodpeckers more so than squirrels eat the meat of the Black Walnut. Over winter when food is scarce, fox and raccoons are also said to crack them open. I've definitely seen woodpeckers eating the meats but have never seen a fox eat one before. Has anyone?

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

The last time I saw a fox here was a few years ago so I can say I have never seen them eat one. We have 2 black walnuts in our yard and it's mostly the squirrels that I have seen. If other animals eat them then they do it at night when I am inside hiding from the skeeters.

Nope, they do it over the winter. Hickories drop their fruits in fall and those fruits are sustenance over winter. Very important to the survival of some species.

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

The hickories are all over so they've got some of those out of the fence.

I think I'm going to start loading up some of those walnuts and toss them over the fence.

I do that sometimes with corn or a half eaten fruit and the deer usually eat them.

Brainerd, MN

I've heard that Black Walnut leaves chase fleas away. Don't know if it's true or not.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.