Has anyone grown Amaryllis in water?

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I am thinking of giving this a try with a few of mine this year, but I didn't want to do anything that would weaken the bulbs. So if you have any advice.....I am all ears! Thanks!

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

If only the roots will be in water yes, people do it in vases.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Yes, I have seen how they do it and understand only the roots are touching the water. I have also read lots of post from over the years here on DG and it appears that it is not as good an idea as I had hoped. LOL So I will be potting mine up soon (the new ones). Main reason for NOT planting them in water for me is that it has been reported to shorten the lasting quality of the blooms. I want them to last as long as possible!

I wonder if that had anything to do with the cultivar or is true for most of them. Nery? I read your post I believe, you said your blooms only lasted a short time compared to the ones in pots/dirt. Is that right?

It works. Just use one of the cheaper hybrids from the box kits rather than the more expensive plants. And I suggest a vase over the rock method, because a vase makes it easier to replace the water without breaking the roots. Once it blooms you still have to repot into soil in order to save the bulb.

(Zone 1)

Yes, just like you would grow a hyacinth in one of those bulb type vases ... where the roots reach down to the water but the neck of the vase is made so the bulb is held up above the top.

Like these: http://www.touchofnature.com/fallcatalog/garden_accessories2.htm

I used to have a couple of this type of vase many years ago but since breaking them I just use any container ... a vase with a wide mouth where the bulb can sit or even a bowl with pebbles and the bulb sitting kinda on top of the pebbles. Used to do paperwhites like this in the winter time. I have some old hyacinth bulbs that have been in the frig for over a year .... wonder if they are still good? Might just have to try and see what I get!

( Kim) Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

I did grow mine in water the pictures aren't great but You will be able to see than the next year I planted outside no flower yet I am just a beginner. Here is a clear picture the other will be hard to see
Dimmer(AKA)Kim

Thumbnail by Dimmer
( Kim) Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Here is the hard to see
Dimmer

Thumbnail by Dimmer
Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

Hi,
Kim(dimmer) showed me how to grow this one and it is beautiful... Thank you Kim... I change the water at least every other day if not every day....
Hope the pictures help they sure did me.... This one has no flower yet... Next picture has 3 beautiful blooms...
Hugs,
Susan

Thumbnail by TurtleChi
Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

Here is the red one....
Susan

Thumbnail by TurtleChi
Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

Sorry was suppose to send one showing you the water again...
Susan

Thumbnail by TurtleChi
( Kim) Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Mary oh I mean Susan51 you take such great picture's
hahahaha
Dimmer

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

They have them at Lowe's, but man they aren't cheap! One bulb and a little vase is like 7 bucks, unreal!

Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

YOU BRAT.... To all who don't know me :-) Mary is my MIL and Kim was on the phone and I asked Mary to take pictures for me to show..... Love ya Ann Oh I mean Kim...LOLOLOL
Susan

Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

I got mine for six dollars and then went to dollar store like Kim told me to and got the vase and rocks to put them in... Kim also told me to put bulb in freezer and save for next year... I think if I get two years out of a six dollar bulb that is good...
Hugs,
Susan

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

It looks like the water is covering your entire bulb, I have read and been told it is only supposed to touch the roots and not the basal plate, or the bulb will rot. So you may want to check on that....the bloom is beautiful!!!

If you plant them in soil after you are done with them in water this year, they should bloom and even multiply for you.

Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

These have been in water for at least 3 weeks I believe and no rot here so far.... Do you mean to plant outside or in dirt in the house? Sorry I know stupid question but one does not learn if one does not ask...
Susan

No, you don't put them into the freezer to save for the next year.

You pot them up in dirt and treat as a houseplant until it's warm enough to put it outside in the sun. Give it a weak mixture of fertilizer when you water. You can plant it in your yard later if you want to, but you need to get it out of the water and into potting soil once it has bloomed in order to maintain it until it can go outside.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

http://www.whiteflowerfarm.com/growing-amaryllis-bulbs.html
Good info here...and videos!

( Kim) Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

JanetS
I checked out the video that was pretty cool . But I did grow it in water and did cover the bulb with water maybe I was just lucky it did not rot I did put it in the frezze for a few week than out in the garage till spring them I planted it it did grow but I got no flowers I heard that it will take 3 years till it will bloom. I was also lazy and have left it in the ground. I don't have to work tomarrow so maybe I will did it up and try to grow in house just to see what will happen. Something new to try
Dimmer

Dimmer-
Others may disagree, but I think that the freezer was the problem. Put them in the fridge if you insist, but it's not necessary. There is a big difference between your freezer and an unheated garage. Remember, most of these come from Africa or S. America, and freezing is not part of their natural habitat. Most can live year-round and a "cold" environment is not necessary even for dormancy.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I would think you are right about the freezer...I personally have never heard of anyone putting them in their freezer either. I am surprised it lived after being frozen....but I am certainly not the expert!

I have lots that are outside and in the ground as well. But we do not get the freezing temps that some of you do. So I doubt the bulbs here completely freeze, even when we get our coldest weather.

I am currently trying to figure out where to put the ones I have inside...too many pots and not enough window room! LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.