Lava flow

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Thought you might like to see an area of lava flow from Haleakala...We don't have as much exposed lava as the Big Island, but it still looks like the moon in places.

Thumbnail by Braveheartsmom

This is the other way looking out to sea in La Peruse Bay, a nature preserve. This area can be very rough, but its where the dolphins come in!

Thumbnail by Braveheartsmom
Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

The colors of blue are so pretty even considering it is reproduced on a pc. Would this be a good place to wear Croc shoes? They are so ugly but I practically live in mine as I am outside most of the time.

Keep the pictures coming. You have an eye for beauty.

Kilikina hahaha

Holy Smoke! (no pun intended of course)
I was just telling Tm that every place has it's dangers but I forgot about volcanos ...a truly unique kind of danger that.

Thanks for the pictures ...that is about as close as I ever want to be to a real one ...having said that in it's own way it is truly beautiful and most humbling as most of mother nature's wonders are.
Have a good one everyone and thanks for the view B :)

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Jen, when is the last time this volcano erupted?

Aloha, Haleakala last erupted 200 hundred years ago, it is presumed dormant. Crocs are just the ticket for lava walking, provided you haven't worn the soles down. You do need to get a good grip! La Perouse Bay has a flat area where we park the car so you don't really need to walk on the lava if you don't want to. It is quite a wild area with unpredictable water, but as there is no fishing allowed we see some really huge fish - two weeks ago Frank swam with three manta ray (spotted ones) which is not a usual sight at the tourist beaches. Lots of turtles too. We have a kayak and I can't tell you the number of times we have put out to sea in this area only to have to turn back when unpredictable winds came up. It's not for everyone, only the bravest (or most foolhardy!) Frank and his pals go out really far - not me, I sit on the shore with the binoculars to keep an eye on them!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

I'll bring my binoculars and Crocs. Don't want to miss any experience. You are so sweet. Gonna cry again.

LouC

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Jen...whta are those things sticking upright in the right hand corner of the second photo??

Aloha Carol,

Those sticky-up things are pieces of driftwood which are what's left of a fence. I am not sure if the fence was put there by the navy who acually blasted out the little hidden bay that is further round, or if it was put up by the family who have a house there. The little bay was origionally made as a landing place by the navy during the war to bring in supplies. Until the seventies there was nothing in Kihei at all, just a dirt track, no road at all to La Perouse. Locals tell of camping out in Kihei for the weekend when they were children and what a wild place it was, I would have love to have seen it then! I live in Maui Meadows, just before Wailea, and I have been told that the developers had trouble selling our pieces of land because it was so far out of town! Unbelievable! Look out - one day the BI will be like that, you are so lucky to have your huge piece of land, and the peace and quiet without all the traffic. Hear tell the BI's land has triple in price over the last few years as more and more people are buying up....

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh, Jenny, I can hardly wait!

Christi, found the perfect thing for you! A boat called "The Reef Dancer". You acually sit in the hull of the boat at a window so you can see the reef without getting wet, or having to swim! They stay on the shallow reefs and the divers bring underwater creatures to the windows for a close up view. Perfect!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

You are unbelievable. When you set out to make this a life-time experience you are going way, way over the top. I feel like Her Royal Highness.

One of my most favorite people is Mary Englebrite. Her designs are always so happy and funny. My friends and family often gift me with different things from her world. One of them is "Queen of Everything". The other is "Princess of Quite a Lot." I love it and take on the role quite well. You are reinforcing my "royalness". hahahah

(I do know correct grammar and sentence structure, it is just so much trouble when I am talking) used to be very with spelling but seem to have lost that too.

Your wish is my command, Your Majesty!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Hi ya'll, Aloha! Since the title of this thead was Lava Flow, I thought I'd post this here...on our way to Carol's we went through Volcano. This was a lava flow from fairly recently (last 20 years or less, but I can't remember exactly.). As you can see, it went right over the road and down to the sea.

Thumbnail by Islandshari

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.