DAILY PICS. VOL. 31

Klamath River, CA

And of course the piglets.

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

Is it normal for them to be so yellow this late in the year?

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

Resin .....quote[ don't want that to become a nightly occurrence!] ah but I do wish it to be a nightly occurence, then I can have a nose to nose conversation with the bear and explain to him/her why it's not nice to tear things up.

Looks like I didn't do the quote thing right.

This message was edited Nov 15, 2007 2:58 PM

This message was edited Nov 15, 2007 2:59 PM

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

Kind of like your approach of the 'bear problem' Adel!

Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

adel, my Lesser Goldfinches are quite yellow too, but the American Goldfinch is pretty drab now.

I've a neighbor that tried talking a bear into being nice, but it didn't work out. Bear still made messes and was a general nuisance.

Scott Bar, CA(Zone 6a)

adel,

I'm only 7 miles from you and my goldfinches show virtually no yellow at all--Pretty drab right now. Only had 3 today.

Bill

Marlton, NJ

Awww, Don't listen to them my sweets! I love your deep fawn winter color just as much as the bright yellow! :-)

Thumbnail by pelletory
Klamath River, CA

tigerlily..............like Teddy Roosevelt I believe in walking softly but carrying a big stick. I'm sure if I can meet this bear, I can prevent any more messes.

Brainerd, MN

Handsome Bluejay today

Thumbnail by original_sybil
Brainerd, MN

And for all of you who say your Chickadees are never on the ground...mine always check out the ground and the feeders - back and forth.

Brainerd, MN

Chickadee with feedbag on

Brainerd, MN

I guess I would rather take on the squirrels. Bears are too big for me!

Marlton, NJ

Very nice pics sybil!

***About 8 more replies and stellapathic will be starting the new thread.***

Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

It has been my experience, that once a Black Bear finds a good meal, it will continue to return and look for more! They will often return time and time again even it the food is gone. Once while living in a bush cabin, we burned the garbage to avoid attracting bears. One night a piece of fish didn't burn in the bottom of the barrel, and a bear found it. The bear returned and tipped the burning barrel over every night for two weeks, until shot when it entered a camper tent near by.

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

An interesting lot of pics, we don't have bear trouble here, hedgehogs are the worst I will get and they are harmless!

bonitin, I sometimes wonder about the camera too. I have heard shooting a couple of times lately, but I don't make a bang so I wonder if they have come to view me as not a threat! I turn up most days, not today but yesterday when I went there was a female pheasant feeding near a deep drain which has a lot of rough grasses at the sides. I walked to within 10 feet (3 metres) of it, it hardly seemed to notice, the sun was low but not so dull as to not be able to see me. Eventually it decided to go into the grasses, but did so only with a quick walk. I looked for it but couldn't find it, they seem to sit more tight now.

Thumbnail by wallaby1

Not sure, maybe time to creep off.

Thumbnail by wallaby1

As she approached the rough grass I still got the eye. Notic ehow the colours changed dramatically once in the shade.

Thumbnail by wallaby1

Just a few minutes earlier (at nearly 4pm) another had flown from a distance, although I hadn't seen it I did hear it, and got shots!

Thumbnail by wallaby1

Wheeeee

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Marlton, NJ

Great pics wallaby!!!

Ok, I will fill up the remaining one or two spots!

A cock pheasant flew from about 3 feet away when I went back through a gap further up in the hedge by the road. I oculdn't focus it from behind going into the sun, but got some as it was slowing up towards their bolt hedge.

Thumbnail by wallaby1

Coming in to land..

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Cambria, CA(Zone 10a)

I was so impressed with all the pheasant in the UK when I was there. They seem to have disappeared from around where I grew up and they were everywhere at one point. OK, follow us here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/790759/

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

Pelletory, amazing how acrobatic your finches look like, nice pic.

Sybil, your 'Chickadee with feedbag on' looks so funny!
and your squirrels are so cute!

Wow, the pheasant shots are really great, Wallaby!
It is pure art how the Pheasant and the background totally merge into each other ! Soo very poetic and beautiful!!
The ones taken in the flight look magic lit by the warm autumn sunlight...
The female looks so gentle, don't understand that anyone can get it over his heart to harm these creatures...Sigh...

Seabrook, SC(Zone 8b)

This morning I went to let my chickens and guineas out and the red-tailed hawks were just screaming up a storm. Usually I hear one each morning, but this morning I could hear at least three- maybe they were having a "discussion" over territory. The guineas would come out of the coop, but the chickens just gave me a look like I'd lost my mind. "Can't you hear what's going on? We'll stay where there is a roof over our heads."

Jenny

Thumbnail by bordersandjacks
Seabrook, SC(Zone 8b)

Any one know what kind of goose the little brown one is? The big white one is my pet, Angus. He's the one I posted about who lost his mate last year and has been having parties on our pond. Well, apparently he's found a friend. I've only ever seen Canada geese out on our pond, but now we have this little one and she (I'm guessing) has been Angus's constant companion the last few days. I'm calling her Sarah.

Thanks,
Jenny

Thumbnail by bordersandjacks
Marlton, NJ

Hi Jenny, We on another new page of Daily Pics now but I'm sure Resin or someone else will see this soon.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

It's a Greylag Goose - probably escaped from a farm somewhere. It is the same species that most farm geese (including your white one) derive from, so the two should get on well together.

Resin

Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

See stellapathic's message above, for link to page 32.

Marlton, NJ

Here's the new Daily Pics

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/790759/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.