Canna #1

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

Seeing as how the previous benefactor of the ever popular 'Canna?' thread has been missing in action for so long, we must, as a courtesy to those who wish it to continue, begin anew. This is where we came from: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/772123/

If any viewer wishes to chime in, by all means, please do. I don't have a fancy pic as our previous benefactor would post, but feel free to post any you may have.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks Paul, what a gracious thread opening. agree with all said, especially that it would be nice to see Kell again. :)

.....sooo...what's up y'all!

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

Actually worked yesterday, and OH lost her keys this morning. Had to drive her across town to work. And I mean across town,as I'm nearly to the eastern edge of metro Denver, and she works in Golden, right next to the foothills entrance to the mountains. So, still looking for keys and my day is pretty much shot to heck. Oh yeah, I can't find the keys to my truck either, but fortunately I drive my saturn the most- you know, 32 mpg -vs- 15, and all! Was going to put a bunch of bulbs in the ground, but maybe next weekend.
It is still entirely to warm around here, with 60s and 70s for highs, and lows in the 30s. Suppose to get some rain and maybe snow tomorrow, but have a strong feeling that it will go north of us. It has been very dry around here.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the new thread!! Things are busy around here. Deer season has started up and my brothers are hunting and I also have a friend in need of some so I am gonna have them get her a few hopefully.

Things are dry around here too. Plus extremes in weather. 60s one day and the next highs of 40s. Crazy. Supposed to be a warm winter this year. Don't know if that is good or not. lol

Fall color a few weeks ago.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

Beautifully done Paul. Sorry to hear you're having so many key problems. 70's during the day and 30's at night sound perfect to me. In a few weeks I'll need to clean up the garden and mulch the beds, just waiting for more things to die off and all the leaves to fall. My darn container pond has sprung a leak, I tried to patch it today, I'll try to fill it tomorrow and see if it fills.

Pepper, gorgeous photo - where is that?

The back part of the road that leads to the Chapel.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Paul, I suggest a chain around the neck for both of you for the keys..lol. I actually have locked my keys in my car so many times it's not only embarassing but the locksmith knows me by name. lol

tsk..tsk..tsk.. trop. :~p

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

I used to have a minivan, and towards the end the only redeeming features were that not only was the window messed up so it was easy for me to break into when I locked myself out (which was nice so I didnt have to call the locksmith), but I could so obviously break into my car in broad daylight in public and no one ever said anything. lol. I remember breaking into it in front of a bank once.....a little scary when you think about it though

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

ha ha ha - Trop you are funny... I've locked my keys in the car as well.

heres a picture of the inside of the dome of the Capitol Bldg - not so sure it's a very good pic, it's dimly lit.

Thumbnail by Redtootsiepop
Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

here's a hallway (I believe in the Senate Bldg.) of the Capitol - these are so beautiful, many many hallways like this with statues - 2 from every State. Who Knew, it's like a castle in there!!!

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

and the Statue of Liberty (with Olivia in my lap winking at the camera) wow - I didn't realize how much our hair matches!

I have also locked myself out of my truck and the house. lol.

My first truck was a 78 Ford half ton and had a sliding window. I didn't have a lock on the window so I had to use packing tape to keep it shut in the winter time and locked. I wrapped the tape all on the edge plus where the 2 windows met in the middle.

Well, I was kinda worried about my truck this one day cause it wasn't running right. Kept wanting to die on me. So I got distracted and locked my keys in the truck. This was also the one day I forgot my knife so I couldn't cut the tape. lol

It gets worse too!! One of my brothers also didn't have his that day and most of our friends didn't either. lol. It was a little while later that my baby brother showed up and he had a knife and cut through it. He wasn't happy with me. lol

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Great pics Red! I visited all that stuff when I was young and hardly remember a thing except that dome, it was cool. DC is fun, I hope your kids enjoyed the trip, too. So were there people on the streets outside the White House and did the kids ask questions?

pepper, that's a funny story about your truck. I learned with my new car (not my old van) that you can't break into it, which is good but.... Some people at work had a slim jim and tried to help me get into my car when I locked myself out again...finally we realized it wouldn't work. It turns out it's an anti-theft deal with Toyotas. so now if I do it again, I have to call the locksmith that has a thing that rolls the window down

You guys are lucky to have seen the White House. I have never been east unless you count Louisville. :~)

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

well, not so lucky, we had tickets to go inside - but missed our appointment by a few minutes (just in case you were wondering, they are complete sticklers for time there at the White House :) - so we saw the front lawn with the very busy squirrels... and you can see the back lawn from the top of the Washington Monument. It was cool - Trop, you are right, that dome is just incredibly beautiful. .. Oh Yes, there was a couple of "vigils' being held out front of the White House, but not terribly crazy (well, except he lived in a tent there) the kids were not fazed by that, he had nice peaceful music playing. To me, the Secret Service pointing their rifles from the roof were waaaay scarier than the anti-Bush demonstrators. The Secret Service were everywhere. Vincent asked "are they going to shoot us?"

Pepper, love your truck story. Our most beaten down car was a Mazda, the driver side window would fall completely inside the door, and you couldn't roll it back up. I can't tell you how many times I forgot and would just start rolling down the window THUNK, gone!

LOL. We have had that problem with other vehicles. On that truck everything pretty much had to be replaced. But it was a labor of love until 4 yrs ago when I got t-boned and totaled it. I hope to replace it with another 78 but this time restored cause you can't buy the parts anymore.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

ahem, what is t-boned? dare I ask. !!

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

LOL! I'm dyng to know too

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

You guys have seriously never heard that expression?!?! It's where someone hits you dead on, on the side of your car/truck, making a "T", hence T-bone. Pep, they don't make trucks like they used to. Good luck in finding the 'oldie'.
rtp, great pics. I only got to hit the Smithonians aerospace and history museums. Need to take a month long vacation someday to see them all! LOL I truely love the old buildings and architecture there, and across the country. I mean, it ticks me off every time they do a scrapeoff house in some of the old neighborhoods around here. OK, getting off track...
I had an accord years ago, that you weren't supposed to be able to lock the driver door w/o the key. I was delivering pizzas, it was snowing, and I had to get out to look at an aptartment complex map, ang yup, locked door, with the engine running! Had 2 other orders in the car. Had to hunt down a pay phone(pre cell phone days) and call the store, who got a locksmith. Did I mention it was snowing? LOL

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

lol - that is bad,... but the important question is - did the pizzas stay warm?

Okay, now I know what t-boned means, in fact have been in a wreck like that (my mom was driving, she ran a red light -she is really a terrible driver, thank goodness she has my dad drive everywhere now)

Pepper - is work still crazy busy, or does it slow down for you when it's cold?

It slows down to almost nothing in the winter time. Right now it is slow out there but will pick up again around X-mas cause of our displays.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

Pepper, I hope you're enjoying the small reprieve until after Thanksgiving.

Going to go spruce up some pots that are looking bad outside, and dump some as well.

I am enjoying it. It lets me get caught up a bit. I don't look forward to the time where there is almost nothing to clean though. Mostly Jan thru March it seems. I hate those times. I don't like cleaning clean.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

I need you over here, pepper, fast

LOL. I don't even clean the house anymore. I get tired of cleaning houses that are converted and I also get home later than I did at my old job so I do as little as possible. I don't even like to clean that much anyways but until I either get a hort degree or get lucky in a more fun field I am stuck. lol. It's not bad but my true self is a S-LO-B. LOL

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

yeah, I used to be a fairly neat person, but I had to give up housework for the sake of the relationship (or he wouldn't still be here..lol) long ago.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

hmmm, giving up housework for the sake of the relationship ... I really like that.

I just had the carpets cleaned today (helps with Vincent's allergies) ... so we are stranded on the couch with towels leading to the wood floor. poor us : ) !!

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

You know Red, I knew I was onto something, and you're the only one that's caught on so far...lol

I'm just proud of the fact that I sort of cleared my desk...it had been awhile. That's all I can say really...but hey I found a couple of checks I never deposited, that's always nice

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

ka-ching ! just in time for Christmas shopping, too. what does your daughter want from Santa this year?

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Can you believe I've not heard a word yet? Not like she could possibly need anything....lol

have you guys thought about what you want form Santa this year?

That's waaaay to easy for me!!! It's the same every year. A horse!!! LOLOLOL

But I have no place to put one and don't even come close to making enough money to keep one. :~(

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

A new brain! One that works this time. Oh, wait! That's the wizard of oz.
I'll get back to you on Santa.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

a horse for pepper....gosh pep, I'm thinking here, if that's what you've always wanted there has to be a way for it to happen one day

Paul, I know that I wish at least certain portions of my brain could be replaced

LOL. The horse will come one day.

LOL at the brain.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Just trying to get everyone on the visualization thing, maybe we can muster up enough energy to make it happen for you....do you have a lottery in MO? lol

LOL. Yeah, we have lottery but I don't play. I buy shoes instead. LOL. I think I have close to 30 pairs now...I think.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

well, I pretty young girl like you should have alot of shoes - that's just how it is!

I've purchased a few xmas presents, but just simple things, new jammies, fluffy socks - stuff like that.
No big purchases yet. We're having Vincent's birthday party on Sunday, he'll be 5.... mostly cousins, and a couple of his friends. sigh, trying to clean the house, blah blah blah

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

must be house cleaning day...this sucks! lol

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

Totally sucks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.