Best Bench Configuration

Porterfield, WI(Zone 4b)

I am putting up a retail Storm King by XS Smith, and wonder if anyone has the best idea for a bench configuration for a 30X48 gh??

http://www.xssmith.com/gothic.htm

Thanks, Legit

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Congrats, Legit!

Are you asking how to make benches, or how to arrange them in the g-house?

I line mine up in rows lengthwise so there are fewer aisles and less empty space.

One side of my g-house is open, the other side has benches/tables. Makes it very versatile!

Shoe

Pic shows plants on the floor on the left, benches on the right (hard to see the aisles between the benches!).

Thumbnail by Horseshoe
Porterfield, WI(Zone 4b)

Thank you, Shoe,
Yes, my question was the arrangement, with the most accessable space, and the fewest aisles.

Looking closely, I now get your point, on one side you have flats on the ground with aisles inbetween them. I printed your pic and we'll study it. The gh is going up next week, and the benches will be built over the winter. I just want to put as much thought into this as possible so we don't re-arrange them 3 times as we do most things!!! Legit

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Hah~ Boy-howdy, tell me about it! I still move benches around but usually it is from in the g-house to outside (and back).

Some plants/containers do well on the floor just fine. However, I like to have benches, too. With benches not only is the work at a comfortable level but you get the added benefit of under the benches for plants that can benefit from less sun, or perhaps if you've just rooted cuttings and don't want them in direct light yet, etc.

It is hard to see in the picture but on the bench side of the g-house there are four rows of benches and only two aisles. Against the wall are some slender heat mat tables/cabinets just wide enough to support flats (22"). Then an aisle (somewhat slim but comfortable). Then there are two rows of benches (each bench is 38-48" wide) butted up to each other with another aisle. I can easily work those benches from each aisle, plus the overhead sprinkler setup easily waters both bench rows. Next to the upright supports in the centers I've managed to stick a few more benches in between them, those can be worked from the open area as well as from the aisle on the other side.

Regarding the width of your benches, keep in mind what you are gonna put on them; if using a lot of the standard flats (roughly 11X22 inches) then make your benches accordingly to best utilize your lumber and space.
Hope you have fun getting your gh up and running!

Shoe

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

Good Info Shoe:

Thanks

By the way, how big is your GH?

BB

Fulton, MO

I find 4' to be a little too wide to reach across comfortably. My benches are 3' wide and aisles are 2' wide.

Remember to save a little bit of open space for a chair. I don't actually use it for sitting and resting much, but I use that space for lots of other things.

Also consider some open floor space for heavier pots or taller plants.

PS: I have rearranged my GH benches at least 4 times.

Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

Maybe it goes without saying, but I didn't see anyone mention the benches with rolling tops, so that fewer isle spaces were needed. I worked in a GH with these, and it did save room. Example: http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/prodinfo.asp?number=BN%2DCR . Just an example, I don't know anything about their product.

Porterfield, WI(Zone 4b)

Rolling benches have been ruled out, since this is a retail gh. You have to consider children playing, getting squashed, and fingers pinched, otherwise that was my first choice. I want to fill it as much as I can, since this is my first one, and it has to be used for growing and then open to retail. Thanks, Legit

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

B-boy, my g-house is 30 X 48 (and am hoping to put up another one this Winter 28 X 100).

SB, yep, for most uses a four ft wide table can be too much of a reach. I made several tables 4 ft wide so I could sit them side by side for a width of 8 ft to accommodate a 1000 watt HPS light system I have and it throws out and 8 x 8 ft grow light area. (Unfortunately I never hooked it up and it is still in the box after 5 years, brand new, just staring back at me!)

Ideally, 33-34 " would be best for most uses due to standard flats being 11-12 inches by 21-22 inches; placing one flat on the bench lengthwise and the second flat turned the other way would let you get the most usage area on the bench top . (Working with 8 ft long 2x4's you can cut 2 34" pieces, for ends and center supports, with a 28" piece left over to be used as one of the legs (if you want a low table) or to be used as a leg brace.)

Avianut, those rolling top tables are nice, aren't they! Unfortunately for me they are out of price range. (I'm a miser, ya know!) :>)

Shoe

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.