Advice info whatever???????????????

Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Hi I am new to this with greenhouse/ sun room. I have a couple of questions and greatly hope someone can answer them for me.

We built a 12'x18' unheated 3 season sun room for over wintering plants. Though it is technically not heated we do have a couple of space heaters for "just in case".

I've been keeping track of the temps and humidities for one week Nov. 1st thru Nov7th. (I'm still going to take them this is just what I'm basing my info on)

I took the average high humidity for each day divided by 7 and got 73.2%.
I took the morning temp (between 5 and 6:30 am) divided by 7 and came up with 47.5*F Average day time temps usually between noon and 2 came to 64.5*F and night temps usually 10/10:30 pm came to approximately 50.7*F.

Does this any of it sound at least reasonable for a zone 5a in November???? To me it sounds okay but I'm more concerned of not losing plants like the Hibiscus rosa-sinesis and the Brugmansia. Or my cannas and elephant ears.

Also I've noticed as the temps rise during the day the humidity falls ....Is this normal? If not any suggestions to correct it?

Any advice or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Cherie

Fulton, MO

The absolute amount of water in the air is probably not changing that much. Remember that relative humidity is just that, relative...is it in relation to the total amount of water that air will hold at that temperature. As the temps rise, there is more capacity for water vapor, and this means the relative humidity drops.

Those temps aren't surprising. Your plants would probably be happier with another 10 degrees. You may not kill anything immediately at those temps but you will have to be careful about watering.

SB

Conway, AR(Zone 7b)

The graphs on this page demonstrate how the humidity drops as the temps go up. These sensors are in my GH and show the last four days.
http://www.skipsweather.com/greenhouse.htm

I don't think you can use "averages" for determining if the temperature is suitable for plants. If the temp drops below freezing for a short time the plants can suffer, but your average may not show much change.

Nautical

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

I agree with nautical inthat you cannot depend on averages for the survival of your plants. If the temps drop below freezing, even for a hour, those really tender plants most likely will die.

Others may freeze back and likely will come back from rootstock. You will just have to look at ugly plants for the rest of the winter.

In your other thread I mentioned we were heating the coldest part of the nights with a kerosene heater. The lowest, it got in there with heat, was 38. I have not moved my orchids into the house at all. I put them down on the ground so they have earth warmth. 2 Castor bean trees are hugging the plastic walls and still have not died from the cold. Night blooming jasmine is growing way tall and blooming at night and my coleus are still doing fine too. I have citrus trees in there bearing fruit and doing fine in their pots. Geraniums, philodendrum, elephant ears and even Mother of Thousands are doing very well despite the low of 38.

Have any pictures to share of your GH (sun room) this winter?

Molly
:^)))

Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

I'll need to get some pics and let you see. Granted there are some plants that have withered back but for the most part they are thriving. My canna were just cut down and left in the pots and they are beginning to leaf out. The miniature roses are beginning to leaf out as well. My star jasmine is doing just fine as is my spider plant and pothos. The lantana is putting out new growth as well as a geranium with a single bloom. I'm pretty satisfied.

Cherie

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Cool!!!!!

:^)))

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.