Short season this year

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

A very late spring freeze took out most of the peach and blueberries and set the emergence of cucurbits back a month. drought persisted all summer. Set an all time record for the coldest day in July. Now we have a freeze three weeks earlier than in the 14 years I have been here. Can't complain, just about everything produced something, if not not bumper crops even without irrrigation. With the extended drought, frost tender plants have already mostly burned out, so on to the cold hardy vegetables.

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

Whereas here, the season went on to record length, even with a killing frost starting out.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

I hear ya, F-dill. Same here this year....had that big "Easter freeze", coolish weather that didn't seem to wanna warm up, a few early rains followed by severe record-breaking drought (and combined with extended weeks of 100+ degrees). No fun.

However, I betcha my collards are finally starting to sweeten up now, thanks to the cold weather (and predicting a big freeze tonite, into the mid-20's). Cabbage and brocoli are holding their own. (Am hoping the little broccoli heads are well protected by their leaves or I might lose those tonight.)

Oh well...I've still got turnip greens coming up nicely as well as tiny spinach plants but guess we'll see how those do after tonite.

On an even better note, my onion sets and garlic is in the ground and coming along nicely!

Shoe

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Shoe, This is the current status of the Cabbage Collards you provided. Lost a few tranplants to the dry weather. Plenty of turnip greens, but the roots are slow to form. Rutabagas looking good but roots are not forming yet. More mustard than I know what to do with. Got a poor stand of spinach, but what there is is looking good. (Skookum). Broccoli begining to head, but cauliflower is not showing yet.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the update. Your collards are a bit bigger than mine...you'll be eatin' 'em before I will!

I also put in some Brussels Sprouts but I doubt I'll see any "heads" anytime soon..the plants sure look good though!

Shoe

I planted everything later this year, simply because I waited for a good rain - and planted the day before. I have teensy baby sprouts because I prefer to harvest all winter. Nothing got zapped by frost at all. Actually, I don't think we got much frost here in the city. Living downtown, we're insulated a bit.

Can't wait to eat the yummies! Thank-goodness for rainbarrels or I'd have no winter veg. garden!

GGG

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.