Are ya'll ready for S-N-O-W?

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

It's in the forecast!

It was so cold and windy here yesterday. I wanted to give each of my 12 foot blue spruce transplants a deep drink before the ground freezes so I was out there forever watering 9 trees. I then had to have hubby help me wind up and put away hundreds of feet of hose. Got the last umbrellas and summer stuff put up. Pulled all my geraniums from containers and knocked off the dirt and planted them all together in a big pot full of new dirt and brought them indoors for the winter. In the spring I'll divide them up and redistribute them in various containers.

I guess we're as ready as we can be for whatever is coming. Time to hunker down indoors and play on the computer or read a good book.

Brenda

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Snow? Bring it on!

These high winds I can do without, but we get them this time of year. For some reason the wind, if it hits the house right, will come down and blow out the pilot light in the gas hot water heater. So we always have to ck it. When we don't...no hot water.

Have had the wood stove cookin' for a few days. Feels cozy to sit by the stove and hear the cold outside.

I brought my geraniums in the basement for the first time. I never knew you could winter them over. They are by the slider and get some sun. If they don't make it, I am not out anything. Any tips on how to keep them alive?

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Hey Brenda, no I am not ready for the snow. Ever. But I know it still comes every year with out fail. I love looking at all the baby pictures but, am very glad I do not have any more babies to bundle up. :) Boy is that a whole lot of work..... Bless there little hearts. We are looking forward to our son coming home from the Army for Thanksgiving. And the 22nd just happens to be my b-day. The son coming home is much more exciting that my b-day... It only means one more year older.:(. We do not know about Christmas yet. He says that the bases all close for Christmas. So that would be wonderful also. Well happy getting ready for the winter to begin. I think our yard is ready I really have more leaves to rake though. Ronna

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

I'm NOT ready for that white stuff. I only like it on Christmas...and never on the road! Why do I stay in Mich?? LOL

Tons of wind here today and dark clouds moving swiftly across the sky. Looks depressing! We had a bout of sleet yesterday, then heavy rain, but none of the real white stuff yet! DH split a ton of wood, but didn't bring any up to the house yet, so the furnace is roaring. Hate to see the heat bills this winter!!

Time to get on the jeans and the fleece

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

I'm ready garden wise-I have everything put away(well i do have a few things to grab) But the main part is done and all the bulbs and plants I received last week are PLANTED!! Hoses wrapped and stored most of my tools in the GH and hung up till next spring!

I don't think im ever ready to see winter come! I luv a white Christmas and to see the first snow and the babies faces as they watch the ground turn white-but why does it have to last so darn long!!!???

Im praying for an early spring say ----February!!!

*SIGH*

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Nooooo, not ready for any snow, but I do like a white Christmas. It's just not Christmas without snow. It's sleeting here right now, don't like that either, lol.

This message was edited Nov 6, 2007 8:49 AM

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

No rain or snow or sleet just high cold winds and a drafty old farm house! brrrrr
i guess i should go throw my clothes in the dryer and warm them up so i can get dressed. That also means turning the heat up before the grandbabes get here today!

last yrs photo~

NEVER READY

Thumbnail by notmartha
Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

darn i looked out the window and there it is-SNOW

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

I love to watch the snow from inside the house or around a big bomfire I hate ice scared to death to drive on it just have to suck up and do it got to go to work !!!
Gloria

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

no snow here yet Dori I'll let you have it this time LOL
Gloria

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

its just a lil flurry but it hate all kinds of white flakes-it can keep going south!!!!!

Williamsburg, MI(Zone 4b)

NOOOOOOOOOO!
It's just starting here. I've been without power and cable when I have had power. Getting tired of resetting clocks and stuff. If it goes out again, they can blink 12:00 till the storm is over.

We lost the top half of a 40 foot pine this morning. Of course it hit the fence. I'm staying in the house when he cuts this one up. I'm tempted to have him cut down any tree over 10 feet tall except the maples. I'm beginning to wonder if there is some anomoly (don't think that's spelled right) in this yard where the wind makes some kind of a vortex or something. Other than the tree down the road that cut the power and cable, nobody seems to loose trees, but us. My son has a plastic skeleton laying on his roof and it hasn't even budged.

Well, at least I'll have lots of brush and wood for my winter solstice bonfire!

Wheaties is out sleeping with the silkies in their pen. I don't theink her cares if there are does in heat or not today. He had cookies and warm milk for lunch. What a spoiled deer!

Ok, I gotta go find the snow shovel and the chain saw.

Northern Michigan, MI(Zone 5a)

It's dark, it's cold, it's windy and looks downright icky outside... I strongly dislike winter and am hoping the snow holds off atleast for a bit yet. The forecast says it's coming but I am hopeful it will miss me...lol.

I'd be ok with it if I didn't have to drive in it everyday... I hate the slippery roads snow brings with it !!!

Julie

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

I had to go out, roads are fine, but it is pretty cold with the wind and all.

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

wow you guys the sun is out and nice and bright a little windy but not bad just got home from town and it not as cold here as it is in Sanford only 7 miles away!!
Gloria

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

yes we got a trace of snow today too. YUCK!!!! i with you all i dont really like winter that much either, but we do live in the "mitten" state. with all the lake effect snow. I also have all the yard stuff but away... boo hoo. i really miss not being out side and all but rolling in the dirt.... i had such a nice yard sume what with all the free stuff from my parents yaer that was a blast!!!! sigh here we go with all the indoor stale air. but at least all the plumbing is now done at our house. it cost us to get it done but boy are we glad its done.... god bless plumbers. Ronna

Hastings, MI(Zone 5b)

wah wah wahhhhhhhhhhh
i am in immobilizer can't do squat
can order people around though keeps me
in shape to be the queen

i need to protect little rhodies and azals small pines
roses anyone got some ideas burlap or time?

have tons of 2 gallon plastic pots would these be
good om the rhoads and azs w/ rock on top so they don't blow
away?

weed stove wood stve stove is going but i run out of house wood
during the day, i discovered u can't carry logs w/ 1 hand....ow!
;)

romma we are w/o a tub and shower in mb bath dh high plans
seem to lay low.....
sheri

my table umbrella thank god didnt blow away yesterday

Algonac, MI

I AIN'T NEVER ready for snow. The hum of a snowblower has never lulled me in to being facinated with snow. I have no idea why I am still in Michigan during the winter.
Snow is beautiful, but I can enjoy that beauty on a postcard just as much and not have to shovel it.

AMEN

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

We had a few minutes of big snowflakes this morning but it stopped abruptly and it's just dreary outside. The ground is wet so maybe we had some rain last night as well. I don't know. I slept through it. I thought for a minute we would get some lay down.

Time to get in the kitchen and make some soup or chile or something along those lines. :)

Brenda

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

At 6:15 am this morning we have a half inch, by 9am, another half inch has fallen. It it still hanging in the trees and spitting more snow. Lovely sight to see.
You can all bah humbug me now.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

we had a huge flurry then it was over, still gloomy and grey!!
got the grandbabies for the day so lots of lol and smiles!

stay warm-next week back to the 50s

I was out and about today and came home chilled to the bone. I'm sitting on my heating pad right now to warm up. Dreary and cold all day here...yuck. Fifties by the weekend though...wonder if we'll see sun?

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

I think the sun is due next May.
DH hates this time of year. When the time changes, he doesn't get to see the sun (at home, on weekdays) for 4 months.
I have been sitting by the woodstove already this year, soaking up the heat, like a cat.
I look forward to this time of year, sitting by the fire, making soup on the woodstove, burning some candles, enjoying the nip in the air.
If I didn't enjoy it, I would be in misery too many months out of the year.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

ya just keep telling yourself that over n over

LOL

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

I don't have to, but you may try it. It may help you. I don't complain about the cold...much.
I am used to being outside in the cold and dress for it. I have to tell you, that I just came in and nearly had hypothermia. The dampness really made it seem colder. I was chilled to the bone. There is this kind of cold vapor in the air, like a mist. Brrrrr. I am whining about tonight at least.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Its a tad warmer already today! ;) We have grey skies and sprinkles!
I ran out last night to toss the peacock some food-poor thing! I dont think that guy is
ever going to come take him home. If he doesnt I will have to trap him in the gh and then go get that guy!!! dont want him freezing to death!

I think seeing the first snow is always special(even if its cold) It can be beautiful at times! I know that my granddaughter got really excited when she say the flakes flying by(windy)the window yesterday! Im sure when it sticks to the ground that will be a whole new world of excitement, for her brother Zander too. He is only 2 and Im sure its going to be like a new thing all over again for him!

I have tons of daylily magazines to look at this winter, while i sit on the heater vents!
Lots of perennial catalogs too. I bought some modge podge the other day so i may get crafty during the winter months. I havent used that stuff since high skool art class...few moons ago! ;)

I need to get busy cleaning here as I finally called Charter and im making the switch and they will have to go into the boyz rooms. I hope they have kids and understand LOL
Im going to add their T.V.s and get a wireless router. wohooooo
DINNER: Im not cooking a darn thing! DH can take us out or bring something home
I may and thats a big MAY make some puppychow for Daymein. I have to see how much Halloween candy they have left. They had over 25lbs of candy!!!!

I hope everyone is having a great Friday
stay warm!
dori-Notmartha

I have a thanksgiving cactus blooming and a tropical hibby ready to bloom :)

here is a spring bouquet for all of us!!!

Thumbnail by notmartha
Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

We actually have a little sun today and not too much wind. Looks like it is going to be a nice day.

Gloomy skies today, but no dark clouds. I'm watching DGS who is 8 months old. He is such a fusser. Ended up in our bed last night and slept like a trooper. DIL doesn't want to do that at home, but I assured her that I'd never heard of an 18 yr old still sleeping with his parents. This will pass too.

Why do they want to spent the entire night listening to screaming? Beats me!

The job of the weekend is to mow up leaves...we have a ton down after all that wind. Just needs to dry out for a day or two and they can be put in the garden, for glorious soil next spring...ahhh can't wait.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Almost all the snow is gone. Lots of drizzle, but not that bone chilling vapor from yesterday. I think it was the melting snow or something.

I think that we are having a nice pot of soup for supper. I will make some bread in the breadmaker and some little pumkin snacks. Soup is comfort food around here.

Seems like the leftover halloween candy somehow evaporated. It was on the counter, and now it is gone. Hubby sure has a sweet tooth. And he never gains weight. BAH.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Sue all my babies slept with me.....i cant stand crying

Grrr to hubby who doesn't gain weight!!!!

Im heading for the basement to clean it! yuck!
First i have to whip something up for lunchie!

later taterz

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Well, he doesn't gain weight because he works hard, then for fun he cuts and chops wood and hauls it.
I would be skinny if I followed him around all day, of course I would be dead, but skinny.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Well, I think Dori sent her rain down here, lol, cause now it's gloomy and raining. Hoping for a better day tomorrow!!!!

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

hey notmarhta...how do you get your cactus to blossom i have had one for three years now and not a stinking blossom. im about ready to throw it out the window. this summer it actually started to get some new leaves and i was so excited!!! but now nothing... we were right along with everyone. it was very gloomy around here also. Ronna

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

It was nice here today at least what little I saw of it cold tonight though
Gloria

Dori got my seeds today yipie thank you!!!

Algonac, MI

NOTMARTHA....thanks for the bouquet. I will print it out and tape it to the handle of my snowblower. Hopefully it will help ease me down our too long, too wide driveway. The last time I psyched myself by thinking "warm"....I almost froze. Now I psyche myself by "GO faster-GO faster". I don't get quite as cold. :)
At least my next few days back in Naw'lins should bolster me enough to [brave] the cold upon return.
Ketchyuh in a few!

Fenton, MI(Zone 5b)

The only way I get mine to bloom (cactus that is) is to let it get very dry and also to control the light. It needs about 10 hours of darkness, I'm just going by what I do. Then I withhold water
for a long dry spell. I do not let it wither but as soon as I see it set bud I start to water.
I also was tired of mine looking so scrawny so I took some long tips off left them on the soil in
the pot to harden off then after about a week i planted them around the edges for a fuller looking plant. Does anyone here do something different??

Fenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Lost Indian in New Orleans OHHHHHHH I am Jealous now!! Hey tell us all about it when you get back!
Julie

Cedar Springs, MI(Zone 5b)

Quite frankly I like our 4 distinct seasons here in Michigan and find winter is a nice break from all the moles, bugs, weeds and stuff.
I like curling up under a warm, fuzzy throw, reading a book and sipping on some hot chocolate.
The snow and Christmas lights are breathtaking.
Being in the woods after a snow storm is magical.
But I must admit I miss the sunshine and feel so much better during the summer months, both physically and emotionally and the older I get the more I can relate to why all those seniors head for Florida every winter.
I suppose it won't be too long and I will be joining their ranks.

Give me a month of cold weather and that's enough! I am more 'alive' when it is warm and the sun is out. I'd love to head for Fla, but I have a cat that needs taking care of.

They are saying major fog here tomorrow and be prepared for schools to be delayed....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.