Feijoa

Sydney, Australia

I would like some help from someone over the problem I am having with my Feijoa plants. I have two plants beside each other in pots that get regular weekly moisture waterings and quarterly blood and bone helpings...............my problem.............loads and loads of flowers and when they finish flowering they just drop off the plant......................no fruit. What am I doing wrong! Any help would be apppreciated as I am really starting to get desperate...............I am into my third year of this and have tried nearly everything I have read about.

Thanks
TONI

Churchill, Victoria, Australia(Zone 10a)

TONI,
We have one Feijoa plant here in Churchill in Victoria and we have the same problem. It is planted in the ground, and has looked very healthy and grown well and flowered well for nearly 20 years now, but has never set a fruit. A friend also in Churchill has a single Feijoa, with no others near it and it fruits prolifically every year. I hope someone will have an answer for you because we would dearly like to be able to harvest some Feijoa fruit,

Kennedy

Hi everyone! ...I read somewhere that most types of Feijoa need to be cross pollinated by a plant different to the "mother plant" ...if say three plants are purchased at the same place they may all be cutting grown from the same plant . I have no personal experience with this problem ...so I am passing that on for what it is worth, if it were mine I would break out the good old artist's brush and give nature a helping hand in case the bees have been missing,also give it a bit of a flowers and fruit inducing product ...if that does not work go buy a couple of different plants at different places and hope they are not from the original plant (cutting grown).
Good luck hope that may help ... happy gardening.

Coffs Harbour, Australia

I've got one, bought 2 years ago from Bunnings. It has grown well and is flowering for the first time this year. I wonder if I'll get any fruit. It has a bit of scale here'n'there which attracts the ants, but otherwise it is beautiful.

Thumbnail by weed_woman

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.