What is your most unusual container

Pass Christian, MS(Zone 8b)

Aqua~love the stork, what a great idea for a trellis
vosser~Vertie is lookin pretty hip and the iron cup is a great idea, it would look neat if they made larger size cups~
KatG~you are out of control girl!! Those are getting so real looking! The necklace is such a good idea-looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Annie! I have the exact same stork from homegoods!!! HA!! Thats one of my fav stores for yard art.. I too would have a flock if there had been more.. but there was only one. I loved it so much had my husband spray poly on it to keep it from rusting so i will have it for a long time!! :)

Susan

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

we have homegoods in houston, but I've never been. I'll have to ck it out

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

ohmygosh.. i love that store.. Especially in the spring for gardening stuff and great yard art things. Last fall we were in a full drought with no outdoor watering allowed (unless you own a well and I do) and I went to one store where they had all these amazing beautiful Terra cotta pots extremely marked down.. I own them :) They are a part of the TJMaxx stores, so sometimes you can find similar items there.. but Home Goods just has lots more. I have all the ones in my area on a sheet from their store locator's page online and I refer to it when I'm in a far part of town to see if I'm near one!! :)

Susan

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

My newest container find!! I'm thrilled about this pot.. From Old Time Pottery! :) It's going in a butterfly garden of course.

Susan

Thumbnail by soulgardenlove
Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

And I have two of these butterfly planters that will flank either side of the same bed :)

Susan

Thumbnail by soulgardenlove

Susan, A+++ on decorating w/ a theme. That pot is very unique.

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

For doing a topiary try toni's articles on the subject http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/446/

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks Vossner.. I love it! :)

Lake Charles, LA

love the head!

Thumbnail by ssdogwood

I don't get you can be a gardener w/o being a little bit whimsical, huh?

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Life would be so boring without whimsy.

dang it, Arlene. I KNEW I had misspelled that word!

Whimsical was correct as you used it.

I just happen to have a daylily with that name!

well, double dang it! I self-confuse often.

Nashville, TN(Zone 7a)

How about a topiary bee hive hairdo in one of those heads?!!

What a great idea! Then another could have the bun in the back. There's the teased look to be considered and the Cleopatra style, too. Don't forget Shirley Temple curls.

Winnetka, IL

My house is a converted stable, so it seemed only natural to use a horse trough for my aquatic plants:

Thumbnail by plantaholic186

nice! what is the round leaf plant?

Nashville, TN(Zone 7a)

Is the tulip looking flower from the round leafed plant? Very pretty. An old stable!!! Fun. Any pictures?

Seems like this would go well with the horse inspiration:
http://cgi.ebay.com/BLACK-HORSE-HEAD-HITCHING-POST-CAST-IRON_W0QQitemZ280210884510QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item280210884510

Or this cast iron door knocker:
http://cgi.ebay.com/BEAUTIFUL-CAST-IRON-HORSE-HEAD-DOOR-KNOCKER_W0QQitemZ370034142256QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item370034142256

Sorry for going off topic!

Lake Charles, LA

They are in an old graniteware boiler!

Thumbnail by ssdogwood
Winnetka, IL

I love it! So colorful!

That is gorgeous. I love the paint job!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I love container gardening. Don't have to bend over so far.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

this is the porch arrangement

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Before we moved last July, I lived on a small lot 40X120 in an older suburb. driveway on one side and neighbors property on the other. Nearly no space to garden except back yard. I bought 12 containers(plastic stuff) and lined my driveway and placed others in front of the house and in the back on the patio, this gave me places to put plants I like that required more sun than the back yard provided.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Port Charlotte, FL(Zone 10a)

What beautiful containers you all have...It's very inspirational...Plantaholic, I love the Equine theme and the horse trough is so perfect! Love your converted stable! Pirl, you had some really some great links there also (I'm a horse fanatic!)

SSDogwood...great planter and your plants look lovely.

GE1836...YES! You're right...not as much bending! However, if you're like me, I'm constantly arranging and changing pots! Just make sure you didn't water them before you transport them. I love the colors of your porch pot!

Soulgardenlove: That is a beautiful pot...looks pretty big too!

Vossner!!!! I'm loving Virtie! He's cool!

I'm beginning to think that I'm a cerfified Container Nut! I started with 3 and now have about 70! OMG! Nah...it's not addictive!

I LOVE my heads...and they are the best gifts to people. Gardnerkett got me started with this...it's all her fault! hahaha.

This container may not be unusual, but it really is beautiful...

Thumbnail by KatG

Thought they would be great on my lanai. Planted them last Sunday and they were a lot of work...just really wasn't crazy about them!

Thumbnail by KatG

I'm looking at them this morning and thinking....NOPE! I made a big mistake...not only that, they weigh about 300 lbs each! My dear man is thinking I'm nuts and I don't even mention I want to move them. By the time he got here tonight...they were moved into the "Lizard Lounge" where I think they will be much more happier! One strong young man and a "Dolly"! I'm Happy and I get to replace them!!!

Thumbnail by KatG
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

KatG love the sun room, wish I was in a warm climate. Your containers are dramatic with light leaves against the black.
My porch pots are clay. Made by my friend the sculptor.

Your photos and plants and pots are beyond words, Kat. Stunning, gorgeous and beautiful simply don't do them justice.

Winnetka, IL

KatG- that black pot is gorgeous! It makes me think of Hawaii (always desirable LOL)
And the Bougies look fantastic in them. Can I come live in your Lizard Lounge? ; )

Thank-you all so much for the compliments and kind words! I THINK I found the perfect pot's tonight though! hahaha! (Ummmmm...Eric, can you come over next Thursday with your Dolly and move some pots? - these ones are a little bigger and probably will only weigh 400lbs!) Nah...These are really cool and I can't wait to plant them! I tried to go out of the box, but with everything else around here, I need to stick to the tropical look! Plantaholic...YES, you can come and live in the lizard lounge...you would like it! We have a bar out there too and you can become an Alcoholic!

It was a pretty fun day...I got an Email this morning from my Dear Man entitled "You're a Celebrity"...At first I thought...what's he up to now?haha. Well, My Beautiful ladies made the local paper! There's a site that you post gallery's of pictures with our local paper and last Saturday when it was rainy and miserable, I posted a bunch of photo's of my garden.. Low and behold...the ladies were in the news this morning!

http://www.sunonline.com/Default/Skins/Charlotte/Client.asp?Skin=Charlotte&Daily=SCC&GZ=T&AppName=1 go to Our Town - page 2!

I was at Target Garden center tonight...sometimes they just have some really nice plants. Everything is displayed so nicely. Found some different things I'm not finding at Lowes and Home Depot. I ordered another Male head last week and need to plant it for a gift for a man who likes to garden! Target had Burros tail succulents so I'm going to do another Rastifarian look! hahaha They are just too fun!

Happy Planting...

Kat

This message was edited Mar 29, 2008 1:37 AM

Nashville, TN(Zone 7a)

Hooray KatG!!! It took a minute to find it. I was looking in today's edition instead of yesterday. How fun is that? :) You are resally setting the bar for the rest of us!

Winnetka, IL

Your ladies are lovely!

And I'm packing the bags- I'll be out next week, especially if we get even more snow LOL (Which is forecasted for Tuesday. Ugh)

I'll bring the Margarita mix!

That mix sounds good on a day that's not that cold but way too windy to work outside.

Winnetka, IL

LOL Yeah, not particularly Margarita weather here yet.

You poor things! I have an office in Canada and they're also just so fed up with winter! I hate to rub it in, but it was probably the most perfect day for gardening today...not too hot and not too windy.

Well, I think I finally got it right today! Man have I worked my big behind off! Found these good looking pots at Lowes and planted them with some really healthy looking Chinese Fan Palms I found at Target garden center. I'm in very deep doo-doo if I decide I don't like them and they have to be moved! I need to invest in stock for Miracle-gro potting soil as I sure am using a lot of it these days. Actually I filled about half of these containers with old plastic pots, mulch and other crazy stuff and then still used about 5 big bags.

I'm happy!

Thumbnail by KatG

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.