What is your most unusual container

Pass Christian, MS(Zone 8b)

Here is my favorite

Thumbnail by Gardnerkett
Westford, MA(Zone 5b)

Nice I like it! Is it stone or faux stone?

Port Charlotte, FL(Zone 10a)

That is lovely Gardnerkett! Love the choice of plants.

As far as an unusual container...I think everybody needs a "pig with a planter of parsley & petunias!" Say that 10 times fast! hehe

Thumbnail by KatG

As far as plant material goes - Here's one with SP vine, Drawf Papyrus, Lobelia, creeping Ginny and Licorice plant! This one goes through a lot of transformation though...Just replaced papyrus with devil's backbone!

Thumbnail by KatG

sedum,
Its real stone, unfortunately there is no drain hole - next on my to do list! Good thing is it should take a while to fill up.
KatG,
Love the pig, great idea for a container! I am always on the lookout for unusual things to use for containers.

The other picture is a stunning arragement of plants, so rich with contrast, I really like that!
I have always wanted to plant papyrus, but thought it would not work unless in a pond. Did you just change it out or did it not work? Love to know what devil's backbone looks like, interesting name.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Beautiful containers! Love the pig!

I use this hollowed out piece of driftwood I found at one of our local beaches and insert potted plants from the end of it.

Thumbnail by pirl
Plano, TX

both of those planters are so pretty! i guess mine are not that unusual but i do have a birdbath used as a plant holder for a large asparagas plant and i have made some mosaic pots that i like--

Gardner...I love the Papyrus and it did well for about 6 months. I kept giving it a little haircut and then suddenly it just started drying out. Had some of the large Papyrus and it did the same. I agree that it's more suitable for ponds.

Here's the same planter that I replaced the Papyrus with Devils backbone..

Thumbnail by KatG

There really are quite a few varieties of this "Devils backbone"...here's another one that I have in my container garden that I just love as it's very unique. Planted this one with circuma or otherwise known as "siam tulips"...

Thumbnail by KatG

Here's a clearer photo of the actual plant...I'm constantly trying different combos! I mix some crazy things together!

Thumbnail by KatG

Pirl: I Love what you did with that piece of driftwood! Gorgeous!

Thanks. I love your arrangements and that Devil's Backbone. It adds so much interest to the containers.

Someone entered a photo on the DG photo contest with a wine colored Ti plant I just adore but I guess it's one I'd have to bring in for the winter here. It was a gorgeous photo and I keep going back just to stare at it. Variegated lime green added to the composition along with a magenta (maybe impatiens?) plant. Lovely.

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

i nailed my hubby's old work boots to a tree and planted impatients in them. that's my favorite. don't have a camera or i would post a picture

Great ideas! The boot sounds like fun! would love to see that. We have an artisan in MS, that creates bird feeders with old boots and shoes - they are so incredible!

That devils backbone is so cool, I am going to keep my eye out for that! KatG, your arragements are so adventurous, very inspiring! Thanks for itemizing your plants its a great reference as I am still new to the great assortment of plants that can be grown in the south.

The driftwood is beautiful, the grey coloring with the plants is wonderful! I am afraid the termites here would think I was setting out desert for them.

Planolinda, would be interested in seeing your mosaic pots, I have been thinking about hand painting some of the terricotta pots. Saw some beautiful ones at an arts festival recently.

Here is my copper beverage cooler which doubles as a plant stand, sorry the pics a bit dark.

Thumbnail by Gardnerkett

Beautiful use for that stand, Gardenerkett! Some creeping (low) sedum would probably love the spots under the plant on top.

pirl,
Good idea on the sedum, I will keep that in mind for the spring. I had some nice dark SP vine in it, but some little insect like it more than me, now it looks like its been shot! Have to keep a closer eye on these things.

Greensburg, PA

gardnerkett, I love the use of heads as planters. Here's a pic of mine. I call them the guardians, I have about a dozen rhips in the same standard size pot, so the guardians get new hair styles from time to time.
I have two guardians, slightly different.

Thumbnail by krowten

I like heads, too, and yours and mine couldn't be more different: each unique in its own way.

Thumbnail by pirl

I just love all your head plantings! That is so cool! Krowten...you just gave me such a great idea for my Rhipsalis...I just can't wait to find a suitable head or animal!

Thumbnail by KatG

Gardner...You're unbelievable with your choice of planters! I just LOVE that copper one. Would you believe I just came across a couple of beverage chillers from "Soft Surroudings" 1/2 price that I'm going to use for planters! A person after my own heart! :)

Thumbnail by KatG

Lovely! What are you planning to plant in it?

Old defunked aquarium tank that leaks water but holds dirt for a future garlic clove spot. :))

rebecca30

rebecca, an aquarium is a great idea, I had forgotten all about those, we use to have them as terrariums in the 70's, (yes I am that old) :-(

krowten - love the expression on that head planter! Do we get to see the other guardian?
Its fun to change out the hair, I want some of that stuff KatG has for the long hair look!

pirl, your head planter is just beautiful, where did you find it?
If anyone finds a good source for these types of planters let me know. I have googled around but not found much so far.
KatG, is Soft Surroundings a store or website? 1/2 price would be nice, as they are not cheap! I really like yours also, is it stone?

Gardnerkett - Mine came from Winterthur Museum's gift shop, about 12 years ago.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

What a great thread! You all have got some great planters!

I like heads too. I have several of them that I've had a lot of fun with. This one is a little moonshiner that I bought in San Antonio for 50 cents at the Goodwill Clearance store. Picked him up when Connie and I evacuated for Rita, so he has memories attached to him. The top was chipped but I didn't care because I knew I was going to put a plant in him.

Janet

Thumbnail by UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Here's a couple of boots I planted some hens and chicks in. I bought these at Goodwill specifically to plant in after seeing AndyP's tennis shoes. The ladies at the counter at Goodwill wanted to know where I was going to wear them. Even though they were in my size, I told them, nonchalantly, around the garden. I thought they were all going to have conniption fits from giggling so hard.

Janet

Thumbnail by UniQueTreasures
Plano, TX

since you are all so clever with your containers i wonder if you do anything with shaping a plant--topiary type stuff? the reason i ask is because i bought a creeping fig and then found out it is what they use in disney world for all the sculpted bushes--now of course i want to try it! not sure where to start tho--

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

dale_a_gardener posted something somewhere about how they do it. I just spent some time searching but couldn't find what I was looking for. Dale doesn't post anymore but I know he used to show all kinds of topiaries that Disney had done, including a post showing how they did it.

Good Luck and please show us what you come up with.

Janet,
You never cease to amaze me! I want to see a tour of your gardens!!
Those shoes are too fun, what a great idea.
From heads to shoes.
Your moonshine boys are really cute too.
I love whimsical items throughout my gardens, especially things you don't expect to see.
Some great ideas so far!

Here a pic of what I talked about earlier, using old leaky aquariums for growing garlic over the winter.

Thumbnail by
New Orleans, LA(Zone 8b)

Cath, OMG I love this thread! I know I'm late, but thanks for subtle tip to check here. Goodness, I don't know where to start. . .all the containers here are so unusual. Arranging cut flowers is nothing compared to arranging plants. This question is for everyone, you are all so talented. Do you have to do a lot of planning to predict how the plants will grow? Or do you put in mature plants so you already have a vision? I'm an aspiring container gardener and am in awe of all your containers. I have to train my brain to think outside the box now. Shoes and boots, beverage coolers, aquariums, heads, pigs, and driftwood? Wow, amazing. Thanks so much for all the fun pictures!

Thumbnail by karmaplace

Karma,
So glad you joined us!! Love those froggies, sooo cute!
Speaking only for myself, I just plant stuff I like and if it does not work out, just change it. I like different colors and textures together. KatG does a great job with the unusual combinations she plants - wish I had access to such wonderful and unusual plants. Like that Devils Backbone.
Karm,You do such creative floral arrangements I am sure you are a natural with containers!!

rebecca, I am now intrigued with this garlic planting, can you explain more about it? Do you always plant in the winter? Why in a container or is this just a choice? I have never had the opportunity to plant many edibles except, herbs.

Gardnerkett,

The aquariums were by choice, more like i had 2 spare old aquariums to use that were laying around. I actually plant in the fall anyway, from Oct- November, since it's not a harsh winter like more northern areas. "Winter" truly sets in around very late Nov and December thru early April.

If you don't mind, I will give you a link where I explain in detail about the garlic planting. This post lives in the Georgia forum>"anyone growing garlic in GA" thread. Start reading Nov. 11th, my first posting about it. I then give plenty of how to pics and explainations of they why part. Enjoy. :0)

rebecca30

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/781043/

This message was edited Nov 16, 2007 8:56 PM

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Very cool planters everyone!

OK rebecca, now you have me hooked! Great thread, will have to get back and re read when I have more time!
Love the one about the claw footed tub as a planter!
I never thought of growing my own garlic, but we do love to cook and with lots of garlic!!
Fresh garlic, yummy! I started to grow my own herbs and they are fantastic!

We love garlic, too, and eating it fresh from the garden it seems even better to me, if that's possible.

Ogden, UT

Gardnerkett, KatG,

O my gosh I loved them! The pig and the stone with hair! how cool
They were all lovely, makes me excited for next spring

I liked the creeping jenny with the potato vine also, cool contrast

Thanks! flowerprincess - hope to see you join in, next spring!

Newalla, OK(Zone 7a)

gardnerkett....i love the head planter! (the first picture) what is the varigated plant you have in it???

london England, United Kingdom

Great container ideas, Thankyou everyone!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.