DAILY PICS VOL. 29

Linthicum Heights, MD(Zone 7a)

It's time for bed so I leave you with this "famous" quote from the great Chinese philosopher, Confucius ...

Thumbnail by linthicum
Klamath River, CA

New book = new bird. My wife bought me a book written by a local bird enthusiast in which he lists 16 tours in this general area. I took the closest one from my house (3 hours round trip) and saw 16 different bird species. The new bird was an Acorn Woodpecker

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

Would this be called a Ganary post?

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Las Cruces, NM

Here's a close up of a baby hawk (a cooper's hawk, I think) that decided to take a rest break on my rooftop.

Thumbnail by NM_Jane
Klamath River, CA

Northern Flicker

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

Lewis's Woodpecker

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

and

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

House Finch

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

I photographed a lot more birds, but most of them I've posted in the past. I'm sure this area in the spring will be a lot more productive,

Las Cruces, NM

Notice the double topknot on this gambel's quail. We have about 40 in our yard; but only a few of them have a double topknot.

Thumbnail by NM_Jane
Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

adel, if the woodpeckers store the acorns there, I suppose it would indeed be a granery post. What I've read did not mention posts however, only trees. ;-) Congrats on the new bird!

Wonderful photos everyone!

Seabrook, SC(Zone 8b)

Great pictures everyone. Thanks for sharing.

Although, the first one of the Cooper's Hawk sitting on the bird feeder still has me laughing- that would significantly limit your backyard bird watching.

I have a pet goose (Angus) who lost his mate this past year. He buddied up to the Canada geese this spring and was happy, but now his group has migrated and he's left with my ducks (apparently that's like being left with your kid brother.) Any time anything flies over he honks and screeches and I guess is screaming, "I have a pond, come party!" I went to put the chickens to bed at dusk last night and Angus had a whole pond full of Canada geese, a great blue heron, one of the small herons, and a wood stork in attendance at his soiree. Crazy bird.

We went on a field trip to down town Savannah, Georgia with my master gardener class on Saturday and saw this little guy on a Tulip Poplar.

Thumbnail by bordersandjacks
Marlton, NJ

Oh my gosh you guys were busy posting last night!

adel- congrats on the new book and seeing the new birds. Love the pics!

Jane- Love the Hawk and the beautiful gamble's quail !

borders- Thats a sweet story about Angus!

This message was edited Nov 5, 2007 7:14 AM

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
saw this little guy on a Tulip

Black-and-white Warbler

Resin

Northern, IN

Wallaby1, Resin, et al,

You folks in on this to maybe later post some pics in BW? That would be great.

http://news.scotsman.com/opinion.cfm?id=1750342007

Dave

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Fantastic photos posted, wow!

dw, thanks for the prompt, I can't read that article without signing up and paying to the newsgroup but I did a google and found a National Birdwatch for 2007-11. I have signed up! I can sign up for my own 2 square miles area, I checked and no-one has volunteered so I might do that too, although I am no expert I guess one is better than none.

http://www.bto.org/birdatlas/

http://www.bto.org/birdtrack/

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

I am enjoying all of the pics. I think I have some Purple Finches at my feeders. They have red across their whole breast area..is that how you distinguish it from a House Finch? I will try and get a pic of them.

I was so surprised to find a Robin this morning! I don't believe I've ever seen one this late in the year.

Thumbnail by dellrose
Beachwood, NJ(Zone 6b)

Just a GF. :)

Thumbnail by Grandmaggie

Quoting:
Wallaby1, Resin, et al,

You folks in on this to maybe later post some pics in BW? That would be great.

[HYPERLINK@news.scotsman.com]

Dave

OK, here you are!!

;-)

Thumbnail by Resin
Brainerd, MN

Great photos everybody! It's getting a little too cold in the early a.m. to stick my nose outside with camera...supposed to start warming up again.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I swear it wasn't as dark as this pic turned out, but here is The Birds 2007 ;)

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Marlton, NJ

LOL, big group!

Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

Quoting:
I was so surprised to find a Robin this morning! I don't believe I've ever seen one this late in the year.

As surprising as it may seem, there are a few American Robins that winter over here in Anchorage, Alaska. A few, not many, in the Christmas bird counts.

Most of Spenard Lake was frozen this afternoon. The remaining waterfowl were concentrated in one of the two areas of open water. These two Long tailed Ducks (formerly Old-squaw) in winter plumage, were still hanging around.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

The big birds in the background were smart enough to get out of the water, before it started to turn solid. The ducks in the foreground aren't in any rush to leave.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

They're HEEEEERRREEEEE.

Darn. Went away for the weekend and came back to the great spotted bully piggies. Time to stock up on more suet!

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

Sweet Dove…

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

Jolly Junco…

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

ID please?

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Those look like White-throated Sparrows http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/White-throated_Sparrow.html

Yep! They sure do. How exciting.

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

It's always exciting for me when the "winter" birds come back. I enjoy the White-throated and White-crowned Sparrows and the Juncos very much! You probably get the White-crowned Sparrows too.

Well, not that I know of, I'll have to look for them. I get chipping sparrows though. I like the winter birds, but really miss the wrens and hummingbirds too.

Milwaukee, WI

Linth, I just saw the picture of the warbler. I thinh it could be a Nashville Warbler. Is it a recent picture?
Jimbo

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

The brown on its head, the almost eye-stripe and yellow chin look like a Palm warbler to me. Wouldn't a Nashville warbler have a more uniformly grey head?
They are so hard to ID this time of year. I like it when you can hear them and see the breeding plumage. It's hard enough then!

Marlton, NJ

LOL oh the warbler thing is always fun (not).

Hi Mrs. Ed, Nice pics! Looks like we have the same birds pretty much. I also have the Chipping Sparrows and the Song Sparrows.

I haven't gotten the Starlings yet but I'm sure they'll be around any day now as I've seen them all about town.

Pelle :-)

Ditto to Claypa on the warbler (I was going on about the same when mentioning Palm W before)

Can we have our Starlings back, please? There's almost none left over here!

Resin

Yesterday the baby Wood Pigeons were in their nest still, but it was very dull, cold and windy. Today was sunny, but no birds!

Later I found one sat on the dead foliage in the water drain under the oak tree. They are so small still and can barely fly!

(watch for a double post, first one didn't go!)

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Milwaukee, WI

The Nashville also has chestnut coloring on the head. I don't see any of the breast markings to indicate a Palm and the eye ring might be there though it is hard to tell. The reason I wanted to know when the picture was taken is because if it was just recently then, yes it points to one of the later migrating warblers. Because by now I would think that the Nashvilles are long gone. Plus I don't see any wing bars. If only we could animate the photo then perhaps we could see if it bobs its tail. Fall warblers are tough.
Jimbo

This message was edited Nov 6, 2007 3:56 PM

It went on the bank on the garden side, then 'flew' to the tree bottom and began to run up to the trunk. It was used to me so didn't take any notice at all.

Thumbnail by wallaby1

Well Resin, I'll let those starlings know you are looking for them, but I think they like my new log suet feeder too much.

;)

Marna

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.