CLOSED: Need an ID Please

Marlton, NJ

At my feeder today. Thanks. :-)

Thumbnail by pelletory
Marlton, NJ

Perhaps a female Pine Grosbeak?

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Immature / winter plumage male House Sparrow - brighter than a female, but not as much pattern as an adult breeding male.

Resin

Marlton, NJ

Oh terrific. :-( Thanks Resin. :-)

Danvers, MA

How do you know so much Resin?! I am just starting out, the New England Field guide that I have pretty much just shows the adult male pictures.

Anybody have any suggestions for a good book that has more pics for id purposes?

Thanks,
~Shannon

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Try Sibley's Bird Guide - that's generally reckoned to be the best field guide for N American birds, tho' the National Geographic runs it a close second.

Sad to say (for you anyway!) neither is quite up to the standard of either Collins Bird Guide or Jonsson's Birds of Europe, that get the top ratings over on this side of the Pond.

Resin

Marlton, NJ

It is ashame and confusing when your books don't show juveniles. I have National Audubon field guide for the Eastern Region but I really don't care for it. The photos are in the first half of the book and the info in the second half.
The males and females of the same species are not even pictured on the same page.
I have to admit I don't bother with it much anymore; I'd prefer a much more easy to use guide.

Maybe Sibleys next time. :-)

Danvers, MA

Thanks Resin,

I see a trip to the bookstore in my near future!

~Shannon

Klamath River, CA

Shan71..........You can get it on line from Amazon.com

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.