shredded paper

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

my newest toy is a paper shredder.
does anyone know if shredded paper is a good mulcher? i have bags of it and im lost as to what to do with it.
someone said to use it as a mulch, but im not so sure.
any help?

Kitchener, ON(Zone 5A)

I was told by my mother (who is an authority in her own mind) that newsprint is ok and any other paper that has vegetable based ink and no wax coating; such as some light weight cardboards, coffee cups etc.
If this isn't true I would like to know as well, as I am limiting myself to newsprint right now.

Santa Barbara, CA

Magazine are likely to be using metallic inks and the paper treated with clays for the glossy look.

I use shredded office paper and newspaper as compost additive ("browns"), vermicomposting bedding, and mulching (used as base with shredded bark or straw capping.) Cardboard is okay as mulch, good even applied whole for weed control.

I have lots of raised beds and use the shredded paper between the beds. After a year, most has been decomposed and can be shoveled onto the beds for the organic material.

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

thanks for the input..
i just cant believe how much FUN im having shredding stuff. i think im going to add a layer of the paper and then cypress mulch on top.
thanks again
jen

The shredded newspaper works great. I used to put whole newspapers in my veggie garden to keep the weeds out and then in the fall just turn the newspaper and all into the soil.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.