Hurray for the shrub border!

North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

I finished up my shrub border that I have been working on for years. Put in a small 3 foot round preformed pond and planted three dwarf crab apple trees, three Western Mountain Ash and three Sitka Mountain Ash. Then I also added Viburnum Dilatatum Erie as I have Cardinal Candy and Asian Beauty here for years (full of lovely red berries now). Also added Viburnums Susquehanna and Chiquita that I posted about on the other thread. Last but not least I bought and planted a Huron viburnum which is the pollinator for my Chipewa I have had for years.

The birds around here should love me even more as it will be more fruit for them to eat.

I must say this project, which I started planting in 2002 with two Viburnums and then full scale starting the shrub border in 2003, has turned out wonderfully. I had some problems early on getting everything to fruit and had to add more viburnum pollinators but now the berry production is awesome.

I have other fruiting shrubs which bring in the berry eating birds as well as the viburnums. I can't believe the difference in the amount of backyard songbirds living and visiting here now compaired to before the big yard redo. I made sure to have berries for both the summer and winter and the birds love it.

Marin, CA(Zone 9b)

Sounds great! Some pictures would be nice?
Christie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.