alfalfa pellets in composter?

cedar rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

I have a bag of alfalfa pellets and I think I've read somewhere on here that you can use them in your composter to help heat it up....
and means the colder weather is here, would it hurt to mulch my leaves and then sprinkle the pellets over the top in my beds, or am I asking for animals to come around?
thanks

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

well, maybe a few bunnies, but all they would have to eat are the alfalfa, and then they would leave other pellets in return...

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

I soak mine first in a bucket with some water.

cedar rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

when you are soaking them first are you adding to the composter, or to your beds?

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

I throw it into the composter.

lewiston, ID(Zone 6a)

When I'm putting together my lasagne compost I just pour them straight out of the bag about 2-3 inches deep for my green layer and continue my layers. I've never had one left intact by the third turning....the ones that fall out of the pile whole when I'm putting it together aren't bothered by the deer and they break down with the rain & snow. Deb

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

Good subject and good response!

If you frequent farm country keep a look out for spoiled hay. At your best you can use spoiled hay as mulch, in your compost or to make a pretty darn good tea for the gardens. I have found it from free up to fifty cents a bale. It's a heck of a bargan any way you can get it. Alfalfa is the best any way one looks at it.

Alfalfa contains a growth promoter, decent natural NPK, and trace minerals nearly as good as manure. Trace minerals total about forty some. These vary with the soil it is grown on. Some say it is better than manure because the horse has not used any of the elements. There is some truth in the last comment.

When used as a mulch you set up a mini compost zone between the soil and the fresh hay. The worms love this environment and leave their casts to improve the soil. Using alfalfa any way is a win win situation.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.