homemade green house.

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

You will all think I'm nuts, but is there a way to make one just to last a year until I can get a good one. I just need something made with plastic, etc.. that I can do myself.

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Not crazy! I made one from cattlepanels and plastic film. It's on it's second winter.

Search here for the thread on cattlepanel hoop houses. I can't remember how to do that.

MollyD

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

i made one from old windows-not crazy at all just determined! :)

dori

Thumbnail by notmartha
Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Dori that is so awesome! How did you ever find so many windows that seem to match? Did it take you very long? Have you gone through a winter with it? Heating? Venting? Cooling? You can see I have a lot of questions!

MollyD

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

Dori, I love it!!!

Athens, PA(Zone 5b)

I'm trying to build one too from old windows. I don't care if the windows match or not! Your pic helps me to keep at it. People throw away old windows all the time around here:))

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

We had some and then some old guy had a add in the paper FREE windows, We got 2 truckloads, my MIL replaced her crank outs on the porch so there comes the ventalation.
DH went and measured windows and then drew a plan, we were 3/4 done and he said thats all i had the plan for so the north wall we kinda figured as we went! LOL
The Gh is about 6yrs old now(built right after joining daves site!!!
I dont use it for anything in the winter-just to walk out and sit in0it warms to mid 70s while its 32 outside and then at night it will freeze!
Venting04 crank out windows in the roof and one at each end! I start it up about late March here in michigan
I luv it
you can see the crank out open on this shot!

Thumbnail by notmartha
Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

Just lovely. The cheaper the better I say. I'm really impressed and it looks really good. Your DH did a great job!

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

here is another shot of it
yes i am really happy with it and the cost! :)

Thumbnail by notmartha
Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

Too cool, I have to show this my DH.

Athens, PA(Zone 5b)

It's a wonderful Greenhouse pd! nautical on another thread has one of the best looking greenhouses I've seen,but when I visited the Hyperlink he provided,the BC Greenhouses were very pricy. Of course the one I want is $5000+.:((( So I'll just keep gathering old cast off windows till I can build one myself:)

All those fragrant Stargazers,it must smell like heaven in your neck of the woods. thanks for sharing,
Lucille

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

I would have never thought of windows, but sure am glad to hear about them. Now all I have to do is drive enough people crazy looking for windows.
I'm also glad to hear I'm not nuts!!!

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

In Tulsa there is a building materials salvage store. I think it is run by Habitat for Humanities. They call it the Re-Store. They carry all kinds of old windows and doors etc. at very reasonable prices.

I think Habitat For Humanities has these Re-Stores in lots of cities. They are a really fun place to find all kinds of things for our home projects. They have everything from doors & windows, to bathtubs, sinks, light fixtures, cabinets etc.
All used of course, but very usable for certain applications.

You might be able to check for one in your nearest city. I'm glad I did. A very useful resource for us. Now if I can just get DH to agree to building me a window greenhouse. :-))

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

There's a Re-Store in Rochester, NY so there should be some in other major areas.

MollyD

Himrod, NY(Zone 6a)

MollyD, Hi I'm Joy and I am from Himrod NY just about 30 miles southeast of you!

Could you tell me where the Re-Store is in Rochester?

I have a small gh, 8x12, I think, from Farm Tec and I love it......but it is too small already. I have found one that I would like to have if I ever expand.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/815970/

I back right up to a woods on the north side and this would be a great one for us.

Love these threads, I find out so much wonderful information. Now if my brain could hold it all.

thanks,
Joy

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Hi Joy!

We passed through Himrod just today. Went to lunch at Donato's in Balois and later visited some wineries.

Here's a link with the Re-store's info http://www.habitat.org/cd/env/restore_detail.aspx?place=70 also you can follow a link from there for their online store.

MollyD

Himrod, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks MollyD, we live just a half mile from Herman Weimer Winery close to the lake. About the most beautiful area around.

Its a small world.

Joy

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Paul has been to that winery and he tells me we went by it today but I haven't been to that one. We stopped at Damiani, sampled their wines and bought a sweet white (I think their only sweet) for me and a Cabernet Savignon for Paul. He likes them real dry.

Really lovely view of the lake out there!! It sure is a small world :-)

MollyD

Himrod, NY(Zone 6a)

Isn't it funny, we live surrounded by wineries and we don't drink wine. Worked in the grapes as a kid and our son has worked at one of the wineries.

Well I didn't mean to highjack this thread so maybe I better let the discussion go back to greenhouses!!

It was fun chatting,
Joy

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Lorraine,

I made a temporary greenhouse out of the kids swingset last year. Worked get & went through several snow days. In the thread of "You may already have a greenhouse in your backyard.

Joanne

Milwaukee, WI

go to Craigslist.org always fee windows on there in my area. Its a free want ad section
Art

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.