DAILY PICS VOL. 28

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Hello, I am new to birdwatching and I have to say how much I love this forum. I never knew there were so many birds in the world and I appreciate all the pics and ID's that are posted here. I posted a pic of my birdfeeding tree awhile back and am sure enjoying it. I try to get pics of my birds but am not very good at taking pics yet but hope to get better in time and share with you.

Right now on the tree is a pair of doves, a bluejay, a rbwoodpecker, several finches and a nuthatcher. I think I have all the names right. Yesterday morning as I was walking the dogs up to the north field I was surprised to see a very large owl. It flew from one group of trees to another group over the top of my head. If I hadn't looked up I never would have seen it as it was so very quiet in it's flight. An awesome sight for sure. I was also lucky enough to see 3 bluebirds playing in the birdbath the other day. They sure know how to have a good time.

Here is a pic of one of the finches that feed all day long. As I said my pics aren't very good.

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Here is an illusive Nuthatcher I think...correct me if I'm wrong. He kept hiding from me and it took me a long time to get this pic. They are too cute.

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Wallabe I am so enjoying your pics of the little ones and mum in the nest. This past spring we had a robin build a nest in a birch tree that is two feet from our living room window. We could see it but it couldn't see us. At night we would close the blinds so it didn't know we were there watching. Here is a pic I got of the little ones taken thru the window and screen.

Thumbnail by dellrose
Marlton, NJ

Hi dellrose! So glad your enjoying the forum;I agree it is neat to see so many different birds especially ones that aren't in our own areas.

Nice pics!

Your second pic is of a White-breasted Nuthatch. I have them here and their very cool birds. They are quick and not always easy to capture but I love them.

Thats a sweet pic of the Robins in the nest.

Thanks so much for posting! Pelle :-)

Jeffersonville, IN(Zone 6b)

Clearly, I must wash my windows as these pictures are a bit hazy!!
Anyway, we enjoyed watching this guy a bit ago. Apparently it was quite hungry, because it hung around for a while....

Thumbnail by indiana_lily

We've got a nutty bar right next to the suet, but this guy much preferred the suet... he's diving into the trunk for fallen suet....

one more, then I must clean my windows!!

Brainerd, MN

Today's pics...so far... actually, a few are from a couple of days back.

Red-bellied Woodpecker

Thumbnail by original_sybil
Brainerd, MN

Blue Jay and RBW

Brainerd, MN

Blue Jay

Brainerd, MN

Another shot of BJ and RBW

Brainerd, MN

BJs

Brainerd, MN

More BJs

Brainerd, MN

NH and dog "What me worry?"

Brainerd, MN

Goldfinch

Brainerd, MN

Nuthatch

wow! Sybil, What a great selection!!
So, I'm guessing this guy that we saw yesterday, is a White-brested nuthatch as well. Could not get a good picture. Hopefully I can today, because it was back earlier...

Brainerd, MN

Thanks lily - it's a Nuthatch for sure but there are a few types I hear. Mine is a White-breasted. They are funny little guys and very talkative!

Marlton, NJ

Looks like a White-breasted indiana.

Very nice pics guys!

Marlton, NJ

Hi Guys

***Linthicum will be starting the new Daily Pics thread soon****

Edited for not having my second cup of coffee yet. ;-)

This message was edited Nov 4, 2007 11:19 AM

This message was edited Nov 4, 2007 11:23 AM

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
How the &8%3@* do you do the quote thing???? I am computer challenged and its different on every dang site?

Yeah, it is a bit tedious here compared with some sites! To do it here, type
(quote)
at the start of the bit you want in quotes, and at the end put
(/quote)
EXCEPT use square brackets, not round ones.

With square brackets, the above becomes:
———————————————————————————
Yeah, it is a bit tedious here compared with some sites! To do it here, type
Quoting:

at the start of the bit you want in quotes, and at the end put

EXCEPT use square brackets, not round ones.
———————————————————————————

Resin

Thanks for identifying the nuthatch Pelle and Sybil. That's what I thought after I saw Sybil's picture.

Is the woodpecker I have pictured a hairy woodpecker by chance?

Merritt Island, FL(Zone 10a)

Nope..That's a Downey. Note the black spots on the outer tail feathers; Hairy's outer tail feathers are white (no spots).

Brainerd, MN

For all you Pileated fans out there...

I have a new one that comes by. He/she is very clumsy and the poster bird for "bird brain." It has one heck of a time trying to figure out how to get the peanuts out of the peanut feeder. If It comes at the feeder from the left side, the feeder swings too much. In this series of shots, it finally figured out to go to the right side of the feeder.

Pic 1 - Up a Tree

Brainerd, MN

Maybe down the tree is better...

Brainerd, MN

I WAS over THERE...

Brainerd, MN

Okay, I need to think about this for a minute...

Brainerd, MN

This LOOKS better...

Brainerd, MN

Yep, this works great!

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the id Pelle! These pics are exciting to see. I am impressed with everyones picture taking skills.

Sybil and Lily..I am having a bad case of bird envy...especially those woodpecker pics.

Thanks much for the ID Ned.
Sybil, I love the mohawk on your Pileated. And, the captions are great. :)
I could try to send some your way, Rose! I've got tons!!

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Thanks Lily...How about a trade...some of your WP for some of my barn cats?!!

I agree that the captions on Sybil's pics are great!

OMG we finally had 3 cardinals show up. I rigged up a peanut and fruit feeder for them so hope to get some pics if they come back!! Yippee...I'm too excited!!

Brainerd, MN

The Pileated's have a funny little peak at the top of that red mop.

I will happily trade you a handful of Sparrows for a Cardinal or two!

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Quoting:
Yeah, it is a bit tedious here compared with some sites!

Thanks so much!!!!

This message was edited Nov 4, 2007 3:40 PM

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

New thread here

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/787020/#new

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Quoting:
Yeah, it is a bit tedious here compared with some sites!

Not anymore!! I too wanted to know how it was done. Thanks to both the asker and answerer!

Dinu

Hebron, KY

original_sybil,

I just got that same feeder you have shown above with the Goldfinch at the copper topped feeder (Post #4156408), what are you filling it with? It's a heavy feeder, so I'm only filling it two thirds full and I think I need to lighten the mix more and/or only fill it a half (or less) full. I have it on a shepard's hook post.

Marilyn

Marlton, NJ

It is a heavy feeder Marilyn and you'll probably need a more sturdy post than the regular shepherds hook that doesn't hold too much weight. I know sybil puts thistle and 1 other seed in the feeder.

Can you guys please put this conversation in the "show us your feeder" thread?

Otherwise people will think this is the current DP thread; Thanks. :-)

Heres the new Daily Pics thread.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/788457/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.