DAILY PICS VOL. 28

Brainerd, MN

Great pics everybody! :)

No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

Yes, nice virtual bird walk!

Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

YES!
Here's my surprise catch of the day! A lovely little Gold-crowned Kinglet!

Thumbnail by tigerlily
Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

A Ruby-crowned in mid air.

Thumbnail by tigerlily
Marlton, NJ

OMG Congrats tiger! They are so cute!!

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
Wallaby, is that a White Oak in the Wood Pigeon pics?

Quercus robur (English Oak)

Resin

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks! It does remind me of white oak, with chestnut oak acorns. Here's a picture of a nuthatch on a nice flaky white oak from today.

A couple days ago I saw a red-breasted and white-breasted nuthatch on my feeder at the same time. Go get the camera, come back to take a picture and there's a house finch instead. s i g h ...

Thumbnail by claypa
Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

So, claypa, do you keep the camera by the feeder window now?

Aren't those nuthatches wonderful to see?

I'll probably start to do that for this winter. There were quite a few nuthatches in the park today, most of the year you wouldn't see any. They sound so funny, too. reeent... reeent...reent ...

Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

I'm seeing them every day now. One was on the apple tree just outside the fence when I went out this morning. I followed it down towards the creek, hoping for better lighting.

Thumbnail by tigerlily
Fellsmere, FL(Zone 9b)

Got a little better picture of my little hummer.

Thumbnail by Marilyn_FL
Marlton, NJ

Good job Marilyn!!!

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

These cattle egrets are bountiful here around the lakes. Since they want to maintain their reputation of them being prefixed 'cattle', they are often found in agricultural fields where cattle are used. They eat the insects disturbed by the cattle in the grass. They are also fond of riding on their backs! You can also see a myna to see if it gets anything. This is s cropped pic of a lzoomed long shot.

Thumbnail by Dinu
Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Here is a shot with 3 different birds. Hope you can identify all of them! Easily, from their silhouettes. They were quite far for my cam to capture details.

Thumbnail by Dinu
Marlton, NJ

Nice pic Dinu! (#1)

Quoting:
It does remind me of white oak, with chestnut oak acorns

Closely related; English Oak can certainly hybridise with White Oak (hybrid = Quercus × bimundorum "Two Worlds Oak"), and probably with Chestnut Oak too.

Resin

Klamath River, CA

All the action is over head today. I spotted this Red-tailed Hawk.

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

=

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

He was joined by a second RT

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

ooops! should have been this pic.

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

--

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

Then this? showed up

This message was edited Nov 1, 2007 2:57 PM

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

+

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

++

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

+++

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Brainerd, MN

Nice!

Quoting:
Here is a shot with 3 different birds. Hope you can identify all of them! Easily, from their silhouettes. They were quite far for my cam to capture details

Black Kite (3 flying), White-breasted Kingfisher (on lower wire), and a species of pigeon (on upper wire).

Quoting:
Then this? showed up

??? indeed! Wing shape and large head with hefty bill indicates an eagle, but what, I've no idea. Right sort of shape for Golden Eagle, but that doesn't have bright yellow bill and legs. Nothing native to California, presumably something that's escaped from a falconer. How would you judge it size-wise, compared to a Bald Eagle?

Resin

The '+' picture looks like a California Condor to me.

Wrong wing shape for CA Condor (they don't have that bulge on the secondaries), and they don't have yellow feet and bill either.

The more I look at the pics, the more I think it's structurally spot on for Golden Eagle, and the buffy under-tail coverts also fit. Maybe carrying something yellow in its bill?

Resin

Here's a pic of a California Condor I thought looked very similar:

Thumbnail by claypa

Very short, broad tail, and slender head, in comparison. In Adelbertcat's pic, the tail length is equal to or slightly more than the width of the wing base; in the condor, it's barely over half of it.

Resin

Klamath River, CA

This bird was a long distance off but it appeared to be a very large bird. My first thought when I saw it was that it was an eagle. I was hoping that he would come closer and turn into the sun so I could make out the color better. The brief looks at his under side hinted at a reddish brown color but not positive.. The belly seemed to be lighter.

Klamath River, CA

I've seen Calif. Condors and this bird was big, but not that big..

Klamath River, CA

I lightened one of the pics as much as I can to show the underside. Does that help?

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

This is a picture of a Horned Grebe in winter plumage. I was able to get close to one feeding near shore. I would only move forward to the next tree when the Grebe was under water on a dive. I was able to stand behind a tree at the edge of the water for several minutes before the Grebe noticed me.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Marlton, NJ

Nice pic Gary!!

Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

The Horned Grebe in winter plumage is a rather drab bird, but in breeding plumage it turn in to quite a dandy.

edited typo

This message was edited Nov 2, 2007 6:34 AM

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

To show the difference, this is a picture of a Horned Grebe in full breeding plumage, taken on May 1, 2007.

edited typo.

This message was edited Nov 2, 2007 6:36 AM

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Fine pictures Gary.

Marlton, NJ

Wow, what a difference! Thanks Gary!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.