What to do with Boston Ferns?????

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

I posted this on the Fern forum, but don't seem to be getting much response. Our neighbour has left us three HUGE and absolutely beautiful ones.

Two we have taken to the third floor where the ferns will receive a little light and it will be cool all winter (if not downright cold - though it will not be freezing).

The third is a true monster. DH wants to know if it is possible to divide the fern and make hanging plants from the mother plant.

Van Etten, NY(Zone 5a)

We recently brought in all our plants, including some beautiful Boston ferns. DH is the indoor plant expert and I ran this by him He said yes, he has divided them many times--I guess that's why we have so many. No big deal, just cut off some clumps. I took some pictures last week after he brought everything in. Here is a closeup of one of the ferns, behind elephant ears. It's a little fuzzy because it is so blown up.

Thumbnail by bebop2
Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks, bebop. These are truly amazing plants but the third one is way to big so it will have to be divided. Can you ask your DH if the other two will be okay upstairs?

What kind of special care if any are needed for the ferns inside?

If my memory serves me correct. I used to spray the leaves with a fine mist of water inside the house. Once maybe 2 times a day when the heat comes on a lot. I would put something under the plant incase it dripped like a plastic trash bag.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Right - spray the plants - well the room they are in will basically be unheated except for the heat that rises to the third floor - but spraying is still a good idea. Thanks for the tip schickenlady :-)

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Send them to someone in Colorado.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Why? The Boston Ferns are lovely but hardly adequate compensation for losing the world series. :-)

Misting serves the moisture issue, but it also serves as a cleaner. You can't clean the intricate leaves with a feather duster or soft cloth. Can't rub and clean the dust off like you can a broad leaf plant.

House plants are more up my alley. I had the green thumb route in FL. Macey's, Sax Fifth, all the high class ones. Took me a day to do one mall.

Van Etten, NY(Zone 5a)

DH says if it is too cool they may drop a lot of their leaves. Our house is usually in the low to middle 60's. Some are in more light than others and the ones that get more light hardly shed at all. But they do shed some. Big deal. Just vacuum or sweep once in a while. Also, he mists them a few times a week.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Gee - too cold . . . . well these things are HUGE - easily a yard across each - and those are the small ones.

Otherwise I would put them in the dining room which ranges between 55 and 60 degrees in the winter.

Well, I will do my best. They mayl just have to lose a few fronds. I don't want to heat the third floor just for two ferns. I am pretty sure it never goes below 50 degrees.

I will mist them every other day. :-) I should get dh to take pictures of these plants.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

What's a few fronds among friends?

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

exactly!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.