northern lights??

Athol, MA

Tonite I noticed unusual light in the north eastern sky. I didn't give it much thought until my elderly mother called me to her bedroom at about 10:45pm complaining of lights flashing in her bedroom windows. We live in Ma., out in the country. There is a full moon tonight (Mon. Oct 29th). Has anyone else seen anything unusual? Could it possibly be the Northern Lights? I always thought that they were only visible in Minnisota and the Dakotas

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I don't live in the Northeast technically. I have only seen them in late winter, although winter is supposed to be pretty good too. You'll have to check the weather and see if they mention it.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Hi Audrey. It is possible to see them from Mass. Not too common though. If so, consider yourself lucky. I would love to see them.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Audrey, when I lived in Maine, we used to see the Northern Lights several times a year. Some years they were outstanding - green, blue and sometimes even red!

In NH I have see the Northern Lights in late October. It was blueish and flickering. This was back in the late 80's early 90's.

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

Maybe what you saw was the "exploding comet". http://www.spaceweather.com/
I'm going to look for it. I remember the last comet sighting a few years back. I watched it every night.
Deb

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

In Kamloops BC (where we lived prior to 2002) the air was clear and DARK. Great for viewing night skies. We occasionally had northern lights - shimmering green waves across the dark sky. Watching comets was easy as well.

I understand the Boston to Washington region is one of the most light polluted areas on the planet (well, outside of Vegas!)

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

That' because the Boston to Washington corridor is the most densely populated, I believe.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

probably true :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.