Overwintering question

Upstate, NY(Zone 5a)

Okay I'm new to this. When you put down the leaf mulch you just put it right down over the plants, foliage and all? I have been told it is okay to do my clean up in the spring but not everything was killed by last nights frost. Should I wait do put the mulch down until everything is gone or is it okay to do this now. And is the wind going to blow this right back into my yard or is there something I can do to prevent this??

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Those are good questions Debbie. I don't do it at all so maybe someone in the colder areas who does can chime in. I know for hydrangeas for example, if you want to protect them and increase your chance of bloom next year, you put chicken wire or something around it and cover the entire plant with the leaves.

Upstate, NY(Zone 5a)

Thanks Victor. I was thinking of doing the chicken wire cage for my roses. They are still blooming though. The frost didn't even wilt the blooms!! Most everything else turned to mush. I am planning on doing the roses and hydrangea's this weekend.

Sounds silly but I am so worried that my plants are going to die this winter and I will have to start all over again!! I know I will lose some, maybe, but to this newbie this is nerve wracking stuff!

Very doubtful that either one of those will die! What type of Hydrangea? Macrophylla? The big mophead ones? Roses are tough too.

Upstate, NY(Zone 5a)

Yes it is a macrophylla.

That's why Endless Summer and similar macros that bloom both on old and new wood are so popular. Guarantees at least some bloom.

Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

Debbie, I bought a mini rose at the grocery store about a month ago. No tag, unfortunately, but it was so full and healthy I couldn't resist. It was getting all new buds on it about a week or so ago and I was looking forward to some nice red color. Well, wouldn't you know it, someone came along and ate all but one bud! (It wasn't you, was it, Victor?) Boy, was I mad! At least I have that solitary flower left. I check on it every day to make sure it's still there!

Upstate, NY(Zone 5a)

Sue I don't blame you for being mad!! Has your bud bloomed yet? I wonder what would have eaten the buds? Was it inside or out? It is so sad that the growing season is over! I am so looking forward to spring!

Could be deer. I don't like the taste of the red ones, Sue!

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

Deb:

As the leaves swirl around in my garden, I can see that they are performing a natural mulching service for me as they get caught by various parts of my garden plants. I usually add a few more leaves and then some bark mulch to most of the garden.

My roses and my one clematis plant I mulch pretty deeply, about 6 inches to 8 inches of leaves and bark mulch. The rhodie gets an "A" frame, because it is pretty close to the house, and it gets tucked in with just a bit of extra bark mulch.

I don't remember building wire cages for the roses last year. I just mulched them enough so that if some blew off in the breezes of November, they'd still have enough cover for the snows of December.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.