Coleus Chatters thru November 4th...

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Good Morning to all ... it's a gorgeous day here today and I hope you have a wonderful and productive week ahead. Just think, this time next week we'll be into November ... and the countdown to Christmas will begin at our house. Am I ready? Nooooo!

We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/782912/

Coleus Merlin's Magic and Gold Lace

Thumbnail by Brinda
Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Ooooohhhh I like Merlin's Magic. Very pretty!

Pearl River, LA

Good morning everyone...I hope you all had a great weekend.. Brin I missed my LSU this week too. I am getting to be a fanatic fan also. I love our Saints and Green Bay with our neighbor Favre..and of course there is Payton and Eli Manning. And you just have to know how the Eagles are doing. (Friends are from Philly and have season tickets) Keeps you busy. Add that it is open house with a buzzing good food kitchen all day and it makes for an exhausting Sunday.. I get cleared up on Monday and take Tuesday off. It is everyone for himself that day. lol We are going to make some trays of all the coleus I have and Sandy's nursery friend is going to take care of them for the winter. How sweet is that. We should have plenty for spring and more for later... I like to spread them all around the area.. If things go well I will be happy to share. have a good day ...shirley

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Wish I had a nursery friend. Your babies will all be ready to plant come spring.
Had a great time at the round up and got to chat with Dave.
Going out to plant some stuff today. Mainly roses.
Will have to make a list of what I got so I can see what to do with it for the winter.
Have to repair my pond this week. Poor KOI are in only a foot of dirty water.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=4133771

This message was edited Oct 29, 2007 8:35 AM

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

Wow Dr. TA, what a large group. The one I went to was half that size, but still made out like a bandit, as all were so generous!! I went home with a truck full and spent the entire night trying to figure out what I was going to do will all of it. I only got 4 potted that night. lol.

Brinda, love MM. Stunning.

Shirley, if you don't mind my asking, what is it you do. You mentioned an open house, and as everyone can tell you, I am always interested in what my fellow Coleus Lovers do when not obsessing about our babies.

Off to till up some more beds!!

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Oh I know what Shirley does!!!! ***Pick me***Pick me***

She keeps Louisiana beautiful!!! Ain't that right Sidney?

Shirley, I have the football fever so bad that I'm a bit depressed on Sunday and looking forward to the next Saturday so I can watch it again. My family thinks that I've lost it. LOL

Wow Ted, looks like a great time was had by all! I bet you're busy as can be trying to get everything taken care of.

Pearl River, LA

Oh my...I thought everyone knew what I have been doing for the last two years... just ask Brin .. I have been recovering from total devastation of my home and land from Katrina. Cleaning up downed trees.. Putting in new gardens , moving into our new home. In general all the thousands of decisions that required all the permits all the meetings etc. That done I am now being a care giver for my HD who has a very bad heart condition. The open house on Sundays refers to all the kids and grand kids and gran-kids friends who come to see us on Sunday...they just pop in over the day to see us and catch a good meal. Then run out to do all the fun things the younger generation do today... fish....bike .....kayak.... work ...and Church some work their part time jobs. And in general They are busy busy busy.. but always knowing exactly where to come where they are hungry..Open House simply put means WE ARE HERE come when you like and bring your appetite with you. We really have fun...shirleyt

Arlington, GA(Zone 8a)

S.O.S. --911---HELLLLPPPP.
All the Coleus in the Gh are dying.All that we put up weeks ago are dying and the ones we just potted up.I daon't have aby idea what is happening.and from what I can see they are the only ones dying...No bugs not fungus that i can see DH swears he hasn't sprayed anything on them,that he hasn't sprayed on everything.Almost all are dying from the top.I have never had a problem iwht things in the GH before.they are getting filtered sunlight and are getting water everyday.

Chris,Sidney, Please any ideas?

I have tried everything I can think of,and every day I find more and more,dead.I have been trimming them up as I see them starting to shows any signs of stress.
Please,somebody I just can't loose all of them.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

You might put a breeze on them and don't water as much. You need more, I'll bring them.
I can't imagine you loosing them. Your greenhouse so great.
Good luck
Sidney

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

How come you ladies/men have never told me theres seed packets you can print off under extras. Have you looked at them?
Got my coleus in the house last night. Cross your fingers and toes that they make it thru this winter.

Been on here since 2002 and every month I learn something new.

Lavina

FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

Phaedra,

I don't know what to tell you. Get a little air on them like Sidney said. I'm having the same problem and I think it is just because everything was stressed to begin with. I'll be thinking about you. I know what it felt like when I Bayered everything in the Spring and almost lost it all.

Juanita

Stockholm, Sweden

GG,
dear friend, how awful. I feel your pain so strongly. But --- are you sure there isn't any Downey Mildew on your plants? I lost many coleus this summer due to this horrible plague. It looks quite harmless in the beginning, just a few crinkled leaves. Then suddenly all the leaves get crinkled and dry and after a while they fall off and the plant die. Some coleus are resistent though, but most aren't.

Breeze will help, and there is also some mildew poison you can use if this is the diagnosis.

I wish you Good Luck and will be thinking of you. I hope you solve the problem quickly, please tell us how it goes.
Alice

This message was edited Oct 30, 2007 9:21 AM

Newport News, VA(Zone 11)

Phea
So sorry about your babies!
I dont know if this will help but I had the same problem. Leaves all fell off and turning brown.

This year, due to lack of rain, the water levels in the resevoir got very low. I then noticed a change in my tap water. My dog didnt even like it. Luckily I had put out barrels to catch the rain when it finally came. I dragged my coleus back outside and let them get soaked. They perked up right away. I would have left them out there except now it is getting too cold. My other plants are just fine. Just the coleus reacted this way. I immediately thought, they didnt like this water either. I have since been buying more water (for the cooler) and feeding them with this. The problem seems to have gone away.

I dont know if this is true for you................... just an observation.

Hope you get to the bottom of this soon...........

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Good Morning everyone...

Oh Pheadra, I am so sorry! I know how frustrating you must feel after all your hard work. I'll be thinking of you and hoping for a good outcome. I wish I knew a cure for you, but I can't overwinter a coleus to save my life.

Best of Luck to you Lavina with your coleus indoors this winter. Juanita should have some good tips for you, she did a great job last winter.

Well my son is off to Vegas this morning. Can you even imagine a job that would send you to Vegas for two weeks? Ugh... The Mom in me doesn't think it's a good thing. LOL

Got tons of work to do today. Have a great day everyone!

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Happy Halloween

Have a wonderful day everyone!

(Where is everyone? Did I kill the thread yesterday? LOL)

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

Brinda. no we are just out getting a tune -up on our brooms waiting for dusk.

Does no-one print off the seed packetts?

Lavina

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

I did years ago Lavina, but I haven't had much use for seeds lately. LOL I just stick what I need in an envelope and write on it. I thought they were great for gift-giving though.

LavinaMae
I have printed off some of the packets but they were so small I had trouble getting anything in them. I need to find out how to print them bigger and then I just went to Walmart and got those little plastic baggies to mail seeds. When I'm harvesting I just put the seeds in brown paper lunch baggies so they air out. I have too many to fit those little seed envelopes . But they would be so good for gifts and gift baskets.

Do you know how to get them to work?

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

Jada they have bigger ones on down the list now.

Lavina

Will check it out. Thanks.

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

GG, you know I am rooting for you. I can't help but think, if GG can't make it, who am I to think I can. I do hope everything turns out ok. Please keep us updated. I am going to put a fan in my area now. If any of mine make it, crossing fingers, I will do my best to save you some after returning all the others to their homes. (((GG)))

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

I'm still holding my breath. I've lost a few but the biggest share of my cuttings look good. But there is such a long way to go!!

Apparently I'm one of those people with blinders who don't pay attention to things unless they directly affect me. I've seen 1/2 dozen posts about gnats, but do I know what to do about the gnats swarming around my plants? Of course not. I never had gnats before so I didn't pay any attention to them. OK I've got gnats now. So what do I do to get rid of them??! Help!

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Do it my way. Go to Wallmart and buy a couple cans of Black Flag for Mosquitos, flies and Gnats. Only about 2.00 a can.
Spray everything. It will not hurt the plants
Then spray everytime you see gnats or white flies.
Been through all the other fixes everyone tries.

Thanks Ted.
I can say Ortho flying insect killer only gets them hopped up. LOL!
I'll get Black Flag in the AM.
;)

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

I noticed a bunch of little flying bugs tonight. I better get some too.

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

Shew, I had told LaLa about not being able to kill the whiteflies, so I resorted to a test on one of my coleus with spray. It did well and I sprayed them all and have been holding my breath ever since. That was about a week ago. Everyone looks great, if not better. Glad to know intuition won out on this one or else I would be having a mass wake soon!!

La, I am not crazy after all!! Well, not completely.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Well I need to get rid of whatever these little flying things are before I cut them to take over to Connie's house. I really don't want to use anything that will hurt my butterflies that are everywhere right now. This evening is the first time I've seen these things and there were thousands of them flying around the coleus and everywhere else in the front yard. I haven't seen them in the back yet, but didn't spend much time out back this evening.

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Tada! Coleus Gang to the rescue. Thanks Ted, you are the hero of the hour. I am going on a short vacation next week and will have a dog/plant sitter in while I'm gone. I would really like to get rid of them before then as I think people who aren't one of "us" would be mortified at all the flying objects in my house right now (identified or otherwise).

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

Lala I got 4 venus fly trap plants guess what they are eating my small flying fly creatures that I can't find where they are comming from.

Morning all.
Lavina

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

Hey La, I gave you this info. Where are my props?? Dr. TA, shesh!

Lavina, I think I would need about 60 of those plants and then I wouldn't have room for my babies.

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

READY, OK!

WHAT DO YOU WANT?
TD
WHAT'S THAT?
TOUCH DOWN!

LEGEND C-CLAP
SH(C) EFF(C) EFF(C) IELD(C)
SHEFFIELD (C,C)
BULLDOGS (C,C)

U-G-L-Y
YOU AIN'T GOT NO ALIBI
YOU UGLY, HEY HEY, YOU UGLY

WATERMELON, WATERMELON, WATERMELON VINE
LOOK AT THE SCOREBOARD AND SEE WHO'S BEHIND

BODAGETA, BODAGETA, BODAGETA, BA
RAH, RAH, RAH, CIS, BOOM, BAH
WEGLE, WEGLE, WARN D@%# EAGLE
KICK IN THE A@@ BIG BLUE, HEY!

Just wanted to give you some cheerleading routines to practice with, Brinda! Herky! Alright, spirit hands.

Stockholm, Sweden

Hi,
I've put up glued flypaper everywhere in the coleus room, many gnats land there and that's the last thing they do.

I've also put up a lamp with a dark shade in a corner of the room, I've put a very hot&strong bulb in it. Gnats fly to the light (the bulb) and wooops - get fried instantly. Every day there are hords of bodies under the lamp that I collect for the compost.

But there will always be some Einstein-gnats that manage to avoid all these traps - they are poisoned with insect killers once in a while.

Normally by December, all flies in our house are gone by using these methods.
Alice
PS: and the cats take some....

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

Alice, no post about my insanity? I am shocked. Or, is it that as you are insane too, you don't see it. Or, am I not insane?

Stockholm, Sweden

Dear friend,
your insanity is by now recognized as your normal behaviour so I don't think about it at all once I got used to it.

But if you start to behave like a sane person ---- then I'll be verrrry worried for you and call the doctors immediately.
LOL

I enjoy us nut cases best, we have colors - and I love colors. We shall never ever ever change into dullity, promise?!
Alice

Hey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is everyone bookmarked to this thread only?????????
I started a new one asking for suggestions and havent gotten one reply. Where are all my decorating friends???????????????

Now I'm starting to feel ignored. Ignored AND nuts is not good...nope, not good at all.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/785829/

Stockholm, Sweden

Joyce, get used to it! We all get ignored here now and then! I thappens to me OFTEN!

Yes, just get used to it, this is how all chat forums are. Once I showed photos of all the cuttings Wouter sent me - YELLED yippi - and then ----- NOONE replyed with a word. Now I have gotten over it - but it was very unreal and strange and I considered leaving the forum for good (sob sob noone loves me...sob).

My birthday was ignored in June, not a single greeting.

But now I understand this happens to everyboday now and then.
Alice
PS: I'll look at your new thread tonight, I'm at work now.

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

Alice they skipped my Bday last year then I found out my Bday was not listed on my profile.

I know how it is to be ignored. Snort-sometimes I'm more excited than others and disappointed when others don't react fast.

Knats are not things I tolerate well and can't figure out where they are comming from. Don't remember them from previous years.

Where is Sugar?

Lavina

This message was edited Nov 1, 2007 11:00 AM

I'm right here checking Alice's profile which does not have her BD date.
We sure wouldn't ignore you Alice. And happy belated birthday.
I also believe the 1/2 cup Hydrogen Peroxide to 1 gallon of water is a deterent when watering plants.
It's pretty today.

Stockholm, Sweden

profile? Do I have a profile? Where? I'm not good at this chatting-thing, I have no clue to anything except making losts of stupid posts. LOL!

I did manage to put a photo of myself somewhere here earlier this year, but now I can't find out how (and where!) I did it.
Sorry for having an old and worn out brain.
LOL

LOL go to "My Info" and then click on "Manage your preferences"
On the right it will have Your Birthday and several others.
;)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.