questions for birders

Bella Vista, AR(Zone 6b)

I have always enjoyed identifying and watching birds but don't consider myself in the league with you all... I have been watching this forum with interest and curiosity. Please don't think my questions are any disrespect, just wondering...
How many of you bird watchers are also photographers? Does it go hand in hand? What kind of camera do you need to get such close-ups and especially the "action" shots?
Also, does anyone just use their binoculars and notepad?
Would you recommend the Audubon Society or any other birding organization to a novice?

Marlton, NJ

Hi Julie, Welcome! I think most of us just have this as a Hobby that we love.

Besides possibly Lithicum I'm not aware of any professional photographers (sorry if I'm leaving someone out) but most of us take many photos of different subjects like flowers, plants, pets,family etc

I think most of us have mid range cameras (price wise) except for some lucky folks but no you don't need it to be bird watching it just helps and awful lot if you need something identified.

Getting as close to the bird is the main thing no matter what type of camera you have unless your shooting from indoors. Moving very slowly w/ no sudden movements helps alot towards that and having them get accustomed to your presence.

Taking action shots are difficult but with the right settings(on the camera) and alot of practice it can be done to the best of your cameras ability.
Another thing is studying each birds movements so you know just when to press the shutter button.

You can certainly bird watch w/ just binoculars and a notebook.

Heres the Audubon site for alabama; let me see if I can find some local bird clubs for you.

http://www.audubon.org/states/index.php?state=AL

Pelle :-)

Marlton, NJ

Wow theres alot of birding things in your state,lol.

Getting a Bird Guide for your area of the US is another must.

Sibleys or Petersons are good ones.

I would try contacting one of those numbers on the audubon link to get more information to see what all is involved. I'm sure they'll be able to help you out with anything you need for your state.

Have I forgotten anything? Let me know. Pelle :-)

Milwaukee, WI

JulieQ,
I do not take pictures--I don't own a digital camera--but I use only binoculars and the naked eye. I'm mostly interested in bird behavior--why do different birds do what they do. I find that aspect of birding most interesting. Take for instance one of everyones favorite, the Black-capped Chickadee. Did you know that they are solitary night roosters? As gregarious as they are in the daytime they sleep alone in a hollowed out tree knot or a broken off tree top. They have a highly sophisticated pecking order at the bird feeder and as much as we like to anthropomorphize about all birds "cuddling" together for warmth at night, even at minus 40 temps like in Alaska, they don't. So the answer to some of your questions is, no, not all birders take pictures.
Jimbo

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.