Which tie should I wear to dinner tonite!!!!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Well of course the bow tie!!!!

Planted seed last Xmas,and just now coming into bloom,seems it longer than I expected,anyone have info on these flowers,like in how long does each flower last?
Will bloom continually for now on or just every so often,or annual?

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Your Dalechampia `(Costa Rican Butterfly Vine) is a So. American native, so it will need heat and humidity to bloom well for a long period of time. It's probably too tender for keeping it outdoors in your winters.

In your climate, I would suspect it to be a summer blooming vine.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

JD,
It was outside all summer,not a bloom one,took it inside the greenhouse and it's setting flower buds like crazy,plenty of heat and humidity in there,so hopefully I can have flowers all thru the winter time!!!

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi,
I grew this from seed one year and got a few late sporadic flowers. Did not set seed, and at the first sign of cold, it croaked. Probably only truly happy in zone 11. The flowers were interesting, unique. Glad to see yours is happy in the greenhouse, that is probably where it wants to be all year. LOL
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/55263/ lists it as a tender perennial.
Donna

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Hi Donna,
I believe your right,I think it I gave it too much sun this summer,always looked stressed out and wanted watered,thirsty little vine.
I got these seeds from Clare in Californy.and I saw hers from the link you offered,so it seems a 10 or a 11 zone for sure.
I have 2 hanging pots of these so far only one is blooming,maybe the other pot will notice the other pot blooming and do the same,and I will have a greenhouse full of purple butterflies!!!
Don

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I have one too but I've always kept it in the greenhouse. Mine has never done that great for me, I'm a bit lazy on the fertilizer so that may be why mine doesn't grow as much as it should.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

When It comes to fertilizing,in the greenhouse,I have to admit,I'm the same way,but when the plants are outside,I feed quite often.
I guess it's because,the plants are outside and I feel they need it more,dealing with mother nature and all!!!
Or maybe I'm lazy too!!!LOL

Venice, CA(Zone 10a)

Hey Tropicman; I have seeds but haven't planted them yet.There is a fence-row on the Eastern Canal in my neighborhood that has this plant growing on it.Blooms last for several days.It is commonly called "Winged Beauty Vine" here.It grows all year but blooms in spurts.It's currently in bloom.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

ZM.
Is it a evergreen,or die back to the ground,during the winter time?
Yes my first bloom is still flowering now for about a week,did you notice the flower semi
closes at nite?
Can you tell what the seed pods look like so I don't prune them away?
Thanks
Don

Venice, CA(Zone 10a)

Hey Tropicman; Yeah they close up here at night too.They are evergreen here (less leaves) but we have 65-85*F weather all Winter.The seedpods are small and round with 1 seed, a little smaller than a pea.Sometimes there are 2 pods but usually 1, per flower.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Thanks,I'll now know what to look for if it should happen to get pollinated ,seems much like a morning glory.
65 to 85*,man that would be tough to handle!!!!LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.