Could it be a female Evening Grosbeak

Upstate, NY(Zone 5a)

I had a new bird at the feeder this morning. I couldn't get a picture so I am hoping it comes back so I can snap one. It was a brownish color with a yellowish orangey beak, darker colored wings with bold white stripes on them. What do you guys think??? I hope it comes back so I can get a picture!! This is so much fun.

My grandchildren (2 and 4) heard me say "a new bird is at the feeder" and ran to see it. They were so excited that I put a chair at the window so they could look. They were both struggling so hard to see it that they were pushing each other out (like baby birds!) decided another chair would be the best idea. They got a glimpse of the bird and the bird got a glimpse of them and took off. But the important thing is we all saw it and my grandchildren are getting an appreciation for nature!!

Marlton, NJ

Hi dpoitras, Hard to tell w/out a pic but their beaks are usually yellow greenish.

Either way if its a new bird thats exciting!

So wonderful to hear your grandchildren were so interested! Its a great hobby/sport to share w/ them. :-)

Pelle

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Any size estimates? Evening Grosbeak is quite a big, chunky finch, distinctly larger than e.g. House Finch or House Sparrow.

Resin

Upstate, NY(Zone 5a)

It was bigger than a house finch but slightly smaller than a bluejay. (I had the urge to say breadbox...lol)

Milwaukee, WI

Sounds like a female Evening Grosbeak. Their bills are quite large--very like the Rose-Breasted Grosbeaks. Eats almost exclusively sunflower seeds at the bird feeder though will eat safflower seed if you have it out.
Jimbo

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.