Asparagus densiflorus 'Meyersii' - Halloween Fun

Cambria, CA(Zone 10a)

My foxtail fern (I would have posted this in the fern forum but there are folks there who get very upset and say "It is NOT and fern".....and they are right....but that IS the common name) has apparently had a shock and grown an aberrant white streak. Isn't this cool? I have no idea what caused it but it looks quite healthy, just dead-white.

Thumbnail by stellapathic
crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

I love that!!!! Wonder where it came from?

Tina

Cambria, CA(Zone 10a)

I'd love to hear others opinions on how this happened. This is a plant I have had for maybe 15 years. I transplanted maybe 9 mos ago into a slightly larger pot. And I just moved it to this new location a month ago. I think it's interesting that it's such a clean line....only the top portion of the stem affected. And again, there's nothing unhealthy. The plant in general is growing like crazy and healthy as can be. I want to name her Lily (as in Munster)

Thumbnail by stellapathic
Madison, WI

What a pleasant surprise of nature you got here!

That is just so cool. I love the look. I wonder what would happen if you took a clipping of it and started another plant.

Cambria, CA(Zone 10a)

I'll be watching to see if it changes in any way. Can you propagate asparagus from cuttings?

Madison, WI

I am not sure if you can do cuttings. It seems that most of the things that you can do cuttings off you can layer. That seems safer to me, but I have not yet successfully cuttings.

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

stella, I have one of these and it has little white blooms here and there but that looks like the leaves. Very interesting. Bev

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

Hi,
I have these in my yard. Yours look like either someone took a paint brush and brushed it against it or there was a physical structure that prevented that part to get sunlight!!
usually since these are bulbs, it is easier to divide the plants to propagate.

Cambria, CA(Zone 10a)

Since that's the only stem that has shown up this way so far do you think separating the bulb that it originates from would recreate this? I'd love to see a plant with all of the stems so clearly white/green. It's been over a month and nothing has changed.

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

sure. May be you will have more for next Halloween!!LOL

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

update on this plant?

Cambria, CA(Zone 10a)

Interesting you should mention it. I worked in that part of the garden today and thought that I'm about two yards away from that plant. I'll finish the weeding and such, spend some serious time with that one and let you know tomorrow what I see.

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

If you ever get it to actually spread with the white I would love a small plant.
Ill trade whatever I have that you may want.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.