seeds sprouting in my tumbler

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

Hi, I was surprised yesterday when I went to turn my compost tumbler to find morning glories sprouting inside. I know they won't live, but I sure thought they needed cold first before they would sprout. It's toasty warm inside the tumbler right now, I warmed my hands over the hole yesterday. What was full is now down about half, but the things I put in last still have a way to go. I'm excited about getting close to having my first batch, woo hoo! My babies in the nursery bed are going to love this!

My husband says this is the most expensive mulch in the history of mankind. He says I'll need at least 50 more loads before it starts paying for itself, but he is getting on board by bringing the coffee grounds home from work. I gave him a bucket with a lid, he brings it home once a week. Now if I could just get them to put their fruit peels and cores in there after lunch. I found a Bread Co (Pantera?) that isn't recycling their coffee grounds, so the manager said if I bring in a clean bucket with a lid, they will save them for me, more woo hoo!

I've always loved playing in the dirt, but making my own is just so much fun!

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

>grin<

Good for you! My DH would agree to anything, but actually remember to do it? Snowflake's chance, I'm afraid. That's great that he's willing to contribute.

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

Cathy4, it's great that your DH wants to get involved. And finding a source for free coffee grounds is like hunting for treasure and striking gold. I would suggest pulling those sprouting morning glories and trashing them. They are tough and very invasive as we found out the hard way. DH sometimes does tilling as a little side job, however, this time he didn't wash down the tines before he brought the tiller home. So, we ended up with a hugh swath of morning glories in the middle of my garden beds. We ended up having to put into two seperate sowings of cover crops to get rid of the dratted things. Personally, I think their related to bamboo another one of my not favorite plants.

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

OMG, Bamboo! about 10 years ago a former neighbor decided she wanted a natural privacy fence and planted bamboo. I asked her straight out, was it the invasive kind? OH NO, it's not. They moved to Florida and left the house empty for several years. You guessed it, bamboo everywhere. The poor young couple who bought the jungle house are still digging it when it tries to pop up again (3 years later).

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

It tooks us 5 years with the help of the new neighbors that bought the house it was planted at to final get rid of the stuff. It was tearing up our septic field among other things. Hate the stuff!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.