peanut butter shrub

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

I have started 25 stem cuttings, and hope things go well, and they should be potted by the spring RU.Do you think this is enough, I would't want to leave out anyone.Mike

Thumbnail by mqiq77
Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Hey Mike, put me down for one. Think about what you want for trade so I can start something......

Thanks for letting me know.Mike

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Can you find those locally? I looked around last year and couldn't find any so I order from forest farm. I'm just wondering if these are very uncommon or people around me just don't really know about them.

They are common enough, but people know them by different names; glory bower, peanut butter, but the given name is; celrodendrum trycotomum.I should have some next RU.Mike

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

If ya have enough Mike of them Mike, would ya mind saving me one. Very pretty shrub and one I never heard of seen in person before.

Sure will Ella, always glad to do that, I doubt if they ready to ship before spring.I got you posted.Oh, when they bloom they bring every hummer, and BF in the yard.They love them.Mike

Gold Beach, OR(Zone 9a)

I have 2 types of this plant. One has a flower simular to the one in your picture. The other has a rounded flower head with many small flowers that are pink. They both have a very nice fragrance. An added bonus is the deer will not touch this plant.

The reason I am writing is this plant suckers like crazy. I pull up suckers of a good size and stick them in pots and the pout and droop for a day or two but come right back. If you check the base you may find some suckers. Here in Southern Oregon they grow in sun or shade. They are excellent to grow right at the base of a tree where nothing else will survive. I really like them.
Rebecca

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Mike... Thanks and thats fine. Will giv eme time to figure out where I gonna put it. Oh add beside my name. bread and jelly when ya send it too. That way I can pb&j sandwhiches. LOL : )

Rebecca.. Thanks for the additional info on this plant. will keep that in mind when hunting for a spot for it. Will give it plenty of room.

Rebecca is right about the suckering, however mine are so old that they don't sucker, but the seeds sprout all the time, and where you least expect.The two types, are they the mexican hydranga, and the glory bower, or do you have something different?The celrodendrum bungii is the hydrangia, and it really root suckers.They only get about 3' high though.Mike

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.