CLOSED: Can anyone ID our visitor?

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9b)

Out guest chased a smaller bird (sparrow of some sort I think) into a window. We went in and when we came back out both the dead (knocked out?) bird and this one were gone. There weren't any feathers as if the sparrow was eaten. Could the larger bird have carried off the smaller bird, or does this mean it got away?

Oh yeah, and can anyone ID this bird? If it helps, this is Tucson, AZ.

Thumbnail by Dirus
Tucson, AZ(Zone 9b)

Here's a picture at another angle.

Thumbnail by Dirus
Klamath River, CA

Could it be a Merlin?

Marlton, NJ

Looks like a Coopers to me.

Lets see what everyone else says. :-)

Marlton, NJ

Nice pics!! :-)

Klamath River, CA

Pelle the first book I looked at didn't look like a Coopers but I checked a second book that has photos not drawings and I have to agree it's a Coopers.

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9b)

Another shot in a similar pose to the first.

Thumbnail by Dirus
Tucson, AZ(Zone 9b)

This shot is similar to the second.

Thumbnail by Dirus
Tucson, AZ(Zone 9b)

You can see a picture of Cooper's Hawk on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooper%27s_Hawk

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9b)

Also from Wikipedia: Cooper's Hawk (left), Sharp-shinned Hawk (right)

Depending which picture you look at, it could be either. I guess I'm more convince of a Cooper's Hawk since it can straighten out.

Thumbnail by Dirus
Marlton, NJ

The Coopers has a continuous line from head into beak; like a C and the Sharpie has a different one like 2 C's almost.

Coopers on left in these pics. (These are not my photos but friends Bob & Bernie)

This message was edited Oct 24, 2007 10:18 PM

Thumbnail by pelletory
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Cooper's Hawk for me too. In addition to what's been mentioned already, note the rounded tail tip (square-ended in Sharp-shinned), and the stout legs and talons (slender in S-s).

Resin

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

So pelletory, is that Bob on the left and Bernie on the right?

Marlton, NJ

LOL :-)

Rowlett, TX(Zone 8a)

Dirus, GREAT photos!!!

Carla

North Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Thank you for the wonderful photos and great explanations. I have the hardest time telling them apart.

ducky

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Pelle, Thanks for those comparison shots of the hawks!! we still are not sure which one we have seen in our yard 3 times now. I need to print that or something.

Milwaukee, WI

Coopers and Sharpshins can be very difficult to tell apart. The female Sharpie and Male Cooper are approximately the same size. Coopers are about crow-sized and Sharpies are about Blue Jay size but the female hawks are bigger than the males. That being said, look at the head sizes of both--the Sharpie has a very small head and the Cooper's is more proportionate to its body while the Sharpie's looks undersized. Does this make sense? But I agree with Resin in that the rounded tail is a pretty good identifying guide when you can see it this clear. Plus the red eye is an indicator of an adult. Immature's tails also are kind of scraggly and hard to tell if its rounded or square. I'd say Cooper's also.
Jimbo

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

so rude of me...... I meant to say earlier, those are fantastic shots Dirus!!

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

I saw this raptor when I lived in Tucson (1996-1998) and have always wondered what it was! Thanks for the great info. Wonderful pics Dirus!

karsiyaka Mersin 10, Turkey

Looks like a Sparrow Hawk, but not sure if they are in your country. I have seen them in UK.

Merritt Island, FL(Zone 10a)

The USA has three Accipiter species...none is your Eurasian Sparrow Hawk.

We do have a small falcon which used to be known as a Sparrow Hawk-now changed to American Kestrel (but many here still call it a Sparrow Hawk).

Glenview, IL

Wow!! Incredible photos.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
Looks like a Sparrow Hawk, but not sure if they are in your country

It is a close relative:

Sparrowhawk: Accipiter nisus
Cooper's Hawk: Accipiter cooperi

Resin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.