Hooting owls, which one is which?

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

We have quite a few owls around here, sometimes you see them, sometimes you just hear them, but never at the same time.
I know the tremolo type hoot is the barn owl.

Which is the owl that hoots "who cooks for yoooooou?" We hear this one in the summer quite often. I thought I had the information, but somehow lost it.

One more and the reason for the thread.

Now in the fall, and only in the fall we hear an owl that sounds like a coyote. It gives this loud screaming yipping followed by a hoot that goes from a high note to a very low note, sometimes followed by a low hoot, hoot, hoot. It is the strangest sound. I have tried some of the owl websites, looked in my books and cannot find the information.

Does anybody know?
Thanks!

Merritt Island, FL(Zone 10a)

Who cooks for you? is a Barred Owl.

Try Googling Short-eared and Long-eared Owl sounds for the other one (?).

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks I will try that.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Ok, in my book, long eared owl sounds like it could be, but listening to the sounds, they are nothing like what I am hearing.

The first time I heard it, I told my DH I had heard something I could not tell if it was an owl or a coyote. He just stared at me in disbelief, until he heard it. He said that is just what it sounds like.
It is an owl though.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

We have Barred Owls here where I am and we finally got to see it a few weeks ago. Ended up I saw four nights in a row while out walking the dog at night. I couldn't believe how huge he was!!

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

You are right, they are big.
Walking late at night in the woods, when one flys over, you are amazed that something that large can fly.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.