epiphytic cacti

New Orleans, LA(Zone 9A)

Does anyone grow epiphytic cacti - Rhipsalis, Hatoria, Epiphyllum, etc? They grow well in the New Orleans climate but it is very hard to find sources.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Euphorhrom,

i have one epiphyllum and one rhipsalis that are 'growing' crazy right now...i am including a link to pictures of them (they are the last two photos)...let me know if your they are what your looking for as i will gladly share them with you

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1723931&a=13254927

Jeanne (Ckrdpast)

New Orleans, LA(Zone 9A)

They both look like epis to me... I got about 6 cuttings of hybrid epis in May, one rotted and one has not yet rooted but the rest are fine. I just counted, I grow 20 kinds of Rhipsalis, one Hatoria and two Rhipsalidopsis - though the taxonomists say that Rhipsalidopsis *is* Hatoria.

The hybrid epis are wonderful, I wish I were rich and had a greenhouse - I'd grow bunches f them!

What I do grow, I grow in hanging baskets. I think they prefer the wire baskets lined with cocofiber to the plastic "buckets".

Valley Village, CA

Welcome to the forum, good to have you here, I think there are very few in this group that grows succulents in your climate conditions, I just happen to know how knowledgable you are.
You are a geologist arn't you? May be send sample of rock for identification? Crasulady

New Orleans, LA(Zone 9A)

Yes - before retiring I wore two hats, geologist and then later, reference librarian

Valley Village, CA

I am predicting your future, I think you are going to get lucky.
The Huntington must move their Epi, Ripsalis? Hatoria collection immediately, of course I must help, this will be an opportunity for me to get excess cuttings. I will carry a list with me. Crasulady

Valley Village, CA

Hi there, received your message, the seeds are yours, I'm sending out a few others. Crasulady

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.