Small portable greenhouse

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

Has anyone ever used one of the portable green houses that run about $100? I'm lusting for a greenhouse and wonder if this would be good for starting seeds in the spring. I have no room inside the house since I can't do steps anymore. Input please?? thanks! Cathy

Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/BRAND-NOT-SPECIFIED-Walk-in-Greenhouse/dp/B000NUUZNO/ref=pd_bbs_6/103-5763045-8422226?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1193163735&sr=8-6

(Cathy), MO

Guess no one has had one of these Cathy. Did you see the greenhouse made of PVC pipe on one of the threads? I can't remember which one now, but it looked neat!

I did Cat. I may put this on my wish list from Santa. The one in the ad is the perfect size for the space I have and it comes with shelves. DH has to do so much around here that I hate to ask for help to build the PVC pipe one, it is more permanent, too. I only want it for spring time, then I can put this one away. I'd love to be able to start more of my plants than what fits on my kitchen counter.

(Cathy), MO

If this is the right size, then go for it! The price was right

Gravois Mills, MO(Zone 6a)

There is a place I seen a add for up around Versailles a metal company and they are making Greenhouse kits for about $500- $700. If I recall they were about 6ft by 8 ft. I will try to run it down. I think it was a add in the CoMo Electric paper. The one in the picture looks like nothing but a problem. I do not think it is sturdy enough.

Cathy I might know you. Did you ever work over on page at ARPERCEN.

Thanks for the input Oz, I've pretty much decided I won't buy it, wasn't thinking about our spring storms. $500 is way out of my price range, so I'm going to try some winter sowing and see how that works out. I've never worked at arpercen (but I did work for a short time at the publication center on the same campus, then to goodfellow, then downtown after a rif. Were you mil or civ? Wouldn't that be a small world??

Humansville, MO(Zone 6a)

Cathy how handy is your DH I've used 3/4 inch pipe stand fittings and 3/4 mental conduit to make green houses out of just use cheep plastic and remove as soon as last frost is past by pipe stand I'm talking about the older style you see at the flea market not the new pop ups that so many are using now

Dave, DH is a wonderful man, but we don't let him hang pictures, if you get my drift. He works so hard, I hate to ask for more than he's already doing. I've already asked for a raised bed for my veggies next spring, that will keep me busy, lol. I just dream of never having to buy flats of plants (or at least lots less). If I get all my dreams now, what will I have to dream about next year?

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

" If I get all my dreams now what will I dream about next year?" AW yes... it's been my experience that just like children, we never totally satisfied! If you get EVERYTHING on your wish list, your wish list will simply change and expand, BET ON IT!!!

Gravois Mills, MO(Zone 6a)

I was a civilian Cathy i spent 40 yrs in that place and I can say it was the most disgusting adventure of my life. I understand they are leaveing St louis now. I tell you they should have left long ago. That was the most screwed up place I have ever been associated with. from the generals we had on down. I know some of us are really not a bit proud we worked there.

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

cathy have you considered cold frames? you could build pretty cheaply or buy.
http://extension.missouri.edu/explore/agguides/hort/g06965.htm

Belleville, IL(Zone 6a)

cathy
i bought a hoop house type greenhouse last year at rural king in waterloo. i think i spent $150. wasn't hard to put up. it is 8X8X6 ft. i started my plants inside and transfered them outside in the greenhouse. brought them all in during the freezing ice storm and the bitter cold in march or when ever it was. any way i was very happy with the tomato plants and annual flowers i ended up with. if nothing else you can get a few weeks start on the growing season with it. hope this helps.
diana

Thank you dhemmer and len123, I'll have to learn about both ideas.

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

That is cheap! We just got mine built, and it is about that size, and it cost WAY more than that! I also have a mini GH that I bought at Family Dollar and my annuals are still going strong and beautiful! Amazing what a GH will allow you to do. Misty

Belleville, IL(Zone 6a)

well let's see pictures

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Ok, there are seven pics on their way! :)

Thumbnail by mistygardener
Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

GH #2

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

GH #3

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

GH #4

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

GH #5

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

GH #6

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

And the last one. We haven't gotten the door yet since my truck decided the belt pulley was going to explode yesterday! Thankfully it was an easy fix. Now it is raining cats and dogs! :(

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Bring that rain my way!!! Just let me get the chair in first. lol

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

We've had plenty now, it's all yours! LOL

I don't hear it yet. Must be on it's way though!! LOL

We finally had a lovely day of rain off and on, thank goodness. I'm hoping for more.

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

I will tell it again that you want it to come your way! :)

It only misted here and just enough that you could see it and barely feel it but it didn't do anything otherwise.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.