Buds just starting to showing themselves in OCTOBER!

Upstate, NY(Zone 5a)

My coneflower is just starting to get buds now!! This is very late in the season and I am afraid that I will never get to see the bloom!! At this stage of the game should I just cut the bud off and let the plants energy go to the roots instead, or should I just let the plant do it's thing and hope that the bud gets a chance to bloom?

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I hate to say this Debbie, but you might as well cut them off. My late ones that opened up last month took weeks to open then.

Upstate, NY(Zone 5a)

Thanks Al, I was thinking the engergy might be better spent on the roots anyway. But I so wanted to see the bloom!!

(Zone 4a)

I know how you feel about wanting to see them bloom first!!! It sucks to cut off the flowerheads!!!

Upstate, NY(Zone 5a)

Oh yes it does. Keep telling myself I'll see them next year!! Seems so far off though...

Athens, PA(Zone 5b)

I just planted Ruby Star Coneflower this past season and the instructions on the back of the tag said not to cut the dead stems till spring.

Upstate, NY(Zone 5a)

Ut oh...they are gone will have to see what happens in the spring....

(Zone 4a)

Well I woudn't worry about it...I am sure you did the right thing - they will come back bigger and better :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.