Red worms

Berkeley, CA(Zone 9a)

I was recently told that Red Worms are the only kind that actually eat the kitchen scraps I add to my compost. True?
I am about to order some and have a really odd question. I have tons of garden worms in my compost. Can I add the redworms with no ill effects?

Greensboro, AL

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/719039/

There is a developing controversy over the introduction of non native earth worms into environments where they were not adapted previously--especially in wooded areas.

I think the wisdom around here is that if you build a compost pile, the right earthworms will come there on their own.

Berkeley, CA(Zone 9a)

Not knowing a red worm from an earthworm still leaves my question unanswered. I am ordering the red worms as my compost smells terrible as I have very little browns. The red worms are only for the compost.

Greensboro, AL

Yep. I guess that is a vermicomposting question.

if you have a paper shredder you can add "browns" (high carbon) by shredding your junk mail. Just avoid anything glossy. Anything on ordinary paper can go through the shredder--all of those credit card offers. You can also add newspaper, if your shredder will process it.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

have no research to back this up but seems to me if you have plenty of garden worms you don't need to buy any red worms. if the garden worms aren't eating your scraps, then what are they doing in there?

Greensboro, AL

Yes, I think it is true that the red worms are not the same as soil living worms, and that those are the ones used in vermiculture.

http://www.wormdigest.org/

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Actually, "red worms" are suitable for composting but the problem lies in the fact that we tend to refer to 'red worms' as whatever we grew up with or know them by. Some will be called manure worms, bait worms, red wiggler, tiger worm, etc.

Ground species "red worms" will handle compost but don't tend to like confinement that is disturbed (as in worm bins) so ground beds are best for them (a big hole in the ground where you throw your kitchen scraps).

If you are ordering compost worms the ones you want to order are called Eisenia foetida; those are considered by most "wormies" to be the best, not only at eating the scraps but also for their reproduction habits.

Have fun, dun1kirk...worms are great fun!

Shoe

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

thank you, Shoe, for clarifying. (spelling)

This message was edited Oct 23, 2007 7:22 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.