Moving iris now?

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

My spousal unit has built a new terrace and I need to move some TB iris that are getting too much shade. Normally, we can expect frost any day now but for the last few years, frost has been delayed by a month. Is it OK to move them now?

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I'm kinda in the same boat--I removed an old iris bed since I went insane and purchased a boatload of named iris this year. I've managed to pot up many of them but have procrastinated with the replanting of the front bed--I'm trying to decide which ones I want up there:LOL:

I'm going to plant them before this coming weekend where the weatherdudes say the temps will be dropping to the 60's. I've been putting things off the past couple of years due to the unseasonably warm falls.

Hopefully someone in the know will happen by with a more educated answer for you=)

Big Sandy, TX(Zone 8a)

You can move them anytime. You can even put them in a box for a year and then plant them and some of them would still grow.

Thank you ken

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Years ago I moved 681 of them (yes, I counted) during October-November and December. I didn't get flowers the next year but didn't lose the irises either.

eek, I'd better get busy. I think I am probably in a warmer zone than you although you state 7a. Are you on the coast?

Yes, on eastern Long Island and on a peninsula so I've got water all around me.

Thumbnail by pirl

I used to live in Manhasset but I was only 1 year old, so don't remember it. I have seen pictures of the house; it was a 2-story brick with a basement and full attic but the picture burned when my parents had a house fire. I have an aunt who resided in Wainscott. She had no children, and the last time I called, she had a live-in nurse. The next time I called, the phone was disconnected but I never received any notice. She was a concert pianist named Mary Shambaugh.

At a year old I wouldn't expect you to remember the house!

No, lol, just heard a lot about it. I remember a couple of the hotels my dad managed in the city, but I don't think they exist anymore. One was the Cornish Arms and the other was the Holly Chambers. We had to move back into the city because the hotel owners wanted my Dad to be more available.
Never lived in a house again until I was about 13, in Savannah. Talk about a culture shock.
I went to Suffolk Co.'s website to see if I could get someone to check the death certificate for me on my aunt. Couldn't figure it out. They didn't even list Wainscott as a town, village or unincorporated village. Do you have any suggestions?

Probably either the Town of Southampton or Suffolk County. The County must have an official death register and whatever the hometown newspaper was (Newsday?) may have had an obituary on your aunt.

Wainscott is probably under the Town heading and not as a village.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Woodspirit,

You can get info on death certificates from the NY State Dept of Health

http://www.health.state.ny.us/

It takes quite a while, though.

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Woodspirit, maybe you could e-mail this guy. Seems your Aunt taught his child classical piano. Maybe he would have some information on her..

http://www.thehamptons.com/words/bios/reynolds.html

How in the world did you find that? Yes, that has to be her. Shambaugh was her professional name, possibly her maiden name. I will definitiely try to find out something from there. Thank so very much.
pirl I will try Southampton, too.
I also e-mailed the state records department so all of you have given me some help. Thanks again.

This message was edited Oct 25, 2007 7:32 AM

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

I just googled Mary Shambaugh, Wainscott, NY, and that and phone numbers came up.. but, I figured that you probably had the phone numbers...

I saw that but I am sure she has passed away. You have to pay to get the phone number and I have that, but it is disconnected. I also Googled her under Mary Shambaugh Hursey, her married name and I think the matches were the same.
I have written to the New York Bureau of Records. They have told me how to proceed. It seems a bit long and drawn out but perhaps I will at last know when she passed out of this world and anything about her records.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

try this link to the social security death index: I didn't have all the info but when I entered Mary Hursey, last know residence New York - this came up.

http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?rank=0&gsfn=Mary+&gsln=Hursey&sx=&f9=&f8=&f10=&f6=&f5=&f7=&f1=&f15=New+York&f14=&f13=&f12=&f20=&f0=&prox=1&db=ssdi&ti=0&ti.si=0&gl=&gss=mp-ssdi&gst=&so=3

hmmm, I think she died about 3 years ago. Ancestry doesn't give all the info so I will access it at the library where I work part-time. I tried the NY health dept. and also other NY State records offices but they wouldn't give me the information.I thought those records were public records but apparently not there.

I meant to mention that the folks in the hamptons did not reply
by the way, I got all the irises moved.

Good news on the irises.

Have you tried the historical societies out in the Hamptons?

No. I don't know that Wainscott is part of the Hamptons; it was just a suggestion from Ticker when he found someone who had taken piano lessons from her.

There have to be such societies there if we have them here. I'll see what I can find out.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.