Lowes has their tropicals 70 percent off in Liberty, MO

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Went to Lowes last night and bunches of tropicals marked down to nothing. Hudge palms for 10.00 and less too big for my car (darn) and I have hauled some huge stuff. Hanging cactus for 2.00 not huge but good price, house begionas for 75cents, venus fly traps, pitcher plants and on and on.
Just wanted to give everyone heads up if anyone is interested.
Joyce

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Thanks. I've been waiting for Lowes to clearance their Banana plants (Musa basjoo).
I got 2 at Lowes not on clearance $12.98 each. I figure if they ever come down in price like they might be now, I'll get some more. I can always dig them up and take them back with the rec'ts for a refund if they don't make it thru the Winter. They are supposed to be good for -20 F so we'll see. I'm going to put old car tires over the pseudostems and fill them with mulch, plastic over them, and hope for the best.
I got them at the Lowes in Liberty. I'll check there again soon to see if that includes the bananas, I'lll check out those other plants too while I'm there. I am trying to get more into
house-plants. I last bought from the Lowes in Liberty a 4 inch Sago Palm for $6.97, a big Massangeana Cane for $4.97. I'm ashamed to say I also bought from there 2 Bradford Pear 'Cleveland Select's (I needed something to bloom white with my 2 lavender blooming Redbuds, for the alternating color effect). 1 of the Redbuds came from there too.
You got to watch Lowes though, I once went in there in very late November and they were selling dead Norfolk Island Pines for a quarter apiece. They obviously had left them outside a wee bit too long.
The tropicals I bought from there are probably even cheaper now.
It hasn't frozen yet which is good, so some of the more care-less folks at Lowes haven't had the chance to abuse them yet. I took my camera in there in very late November one year and got some photos of their plant abuse if anyone would like to see. -
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/w4i0a/Lowes%20tropicals%20outside%20in%20November04/
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

I didn't see any Banana plants (Musa basjoo). I got one on a plant swap this year. They called it a pup..LOL hope I have pups next year. I didn't plant mine in the yard yet because I was afraid cause it was small so it is in a pot and I thought I would over winter it indoors this year. I don't think they would of put those on sale because they do over winter here, but I could of missed them. Hope you find some good stuff.
Joyce

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

There is a greenhouse not far from here that has had basjoo bananas planted outside for several years now. They will freeze to the ground but shoot back up in the spring. I planted some outside for the first time this year I hope to have the same luck he does. I am so glad to hear from you Will! It has been a long time since I have seen your name.

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Hi Ann! Its nice to hear from you too!
I see everyone had a wonderful time at the Fall RoundUp.
I will certainly try to come to the Spring RU.
The Banana basjoos sure would be a nice addition if they make it.
Its nice to hear they can make it in Missouri, I hope mine do because I really don't want to take them back (although Lowes doesn't hassle you a bit if you return with the valid rec't).
happ-The basjoos were facing the back of the lawn and garden at that Lowes.
They were on the rear end-cap of I think the first aisle as you exit the inside store part.
They may be gone now, those stores aren't too logical at times.

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Well darn, I would of like to had another.....it was a pretty day and I needed to get home to get the parts to my DH so he could hook the furnance up in the garden room, plus I knew I needed to start moving things so I was really in a hurry. It is 30 minutes back home from Liberty and my day was ticking by....like I said hope mine has pups, that would be the cheapest way to increase my trees.
Joyce

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.