Aristolochia triangularis, one more time

St. Paul, MN(Zone 4b)

Hello All.

I know I've posted pictures of this flower before, but I am nonetheless doing it again. They are smallish - 3/4" or so - but are, in my opinion, very striking and enchanting. Throw in the attractive heart-shaped leaves, the compact nature of the plant, and its total resistance (so far, anyways) to spider mites, and I rate this as one of my favorite Aristolochias.

Erick

Thumbnail by ErickMN
Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Thanks Erick I love your pictures. Keep them coming!!

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

To cool! The flower looks like a baby bird with its beak open.
:) Donna

St. Paul, MN(Zone 4b)

Thank you Marie and Donna.

Erick

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

That is such a cool vine, You have got some of the loveliest vines Erick

I'm so envyous LOL

St. Paul, MN(Zone 4b)

Thank you kathy_ann. That's very kind of you to say. Know that it's appreciated.

Erick

Phoenix, AZ

Aaah! I LOVE it's fuzzy little mouth!

Port Saint Lucie, FL(Zone 9b)

Erick, How long are those things growing before they finally bloom? I have had one growing strong since maybe february I found it growing. it is now 16 feet tall woven on the trellis and not a flower in site. The plant was planted in the garden like 2 years ago but it died last year soon after planting it. I can't squeeze a flower out of the darn thing!! and no i don;t know which aristolochia as the flower has never appeared. I believe it is suppossed to be a wooly dutchmans pipe.

Flutter

St. Paul, MN(Zone 4b)

Thank you Fish_knees. Although you have to look very close to see it, the flowers actually do have a "fuzzy" mouth, very intricate. I find them enchanting!

Flutter, in my experience, there is huge amount of variation among Aristolochias as to plant age and blooming. Some of them can bloom when less than a year old, e.g. fimbriata, elegans, grandiflora, etc. Others need to be a bit older. It took just over two years to get blooms on my trilobata - and well worth the wait, I must add. The triangularis (pictured) is now ~three years old. Even indoors now for the winter, it has at least a hundred buds developing. To my incredible delight, I just noticed buds on my A. maxima yesterday. That plant is ~ 4 years old. Anyway, blooming age varies alot, but it is always worth the wait with this genus.

It sounds like you have A. tomentosa. I have limited experience with that species. I successfully overwintered it last year in both my garden and in a pot in my basement, but it didn't bloom this past summer in either. I suspect that it will need to get well established before it blooms, and that may yet be a year or two. From the pictures of the flowers I've seen, I would easily consider it worth the wait. Don't yet give up on yours!

Erick

This message was edited Nov 9, 2007 8:17 PM

This message was edited Nov 9, 2007 8:39 PM

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Those Aristolochia are stunning! I love the pictures! I'm going to have to stop looking at them though because I don't need another obsession. My greenhouse just can't hold anymore!

The color combinations are beautiful!

X

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.