lost half of bradford pair

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Well, we lost half of one of the bradford pear trees overnight from that storm that went thru. I read a couple of months ago about recommendations to replace any bradford on your property with cleveland select or just another tree. Well I guess we'll have to start sooner than I expected.
Does anyone know if the wood would be good to use in our smoker for cooking? I know it's not a true pear and the flowers do kinda stink. hmmmm....

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Wouldn't know that Jen. Bradfords are big trouble from what I hear.

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

I guess the Bradford's are notorious for breaking like that. I don't know anything about smokers. They do use apple wood. I don't know if pear is similar.

Any idea what you are going to replace it with?

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Our Bradford Pear 'Aristocrat' came highly touted by a noted tree company and loses limbs all too often. I'd never plant another one of them.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

That one sounds like brandy Pirl - bet it's a good smoker.

Sorry - I live in the brandy state.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Does brandy help the winter pass more quickly?

Why did I think WI was the cheese state? It was when I was there.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Gram,I may replace with a maple or they recommend grover select pear. We have used apple wood but of course that is a true fruit, ya know what I mean? I'm worried a little since the blossoms are so stinky that the wood would be too. Maybe we should just burn some just to smell it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.