Salvia tiliafolia

Ashley Falls, MA

Does anyone out there have any experience growing this salvia? Seeds are for sale in Seeds of Change catalog. The pic shows some beautiful foliage which would be reason enough to grow it, but any feedback would be apprieciated. I'm in zone 5 ,southwest Mass, and have trouble getting some of the tender perennial salvias to bloom before frost. This one is listed as an annual. Thanks!

Milo, IA(Zone 5a)

Julie: I am in zone 5 also. I looked up the salvia tiliafolia on the Seeds of Change website. Interesting plant. I have grown several different kinds of salvia. They all require about the same treatment. I start mine inside and have no problem with them blooming well before frost. I think they said that type of salvia was an annual. If you start the seeds inside, surface sow on moist planting medium, cover seed tray with plastic or put tray in plastic bag, move to well lighted area. They germinate at 68 to 75 degrees soil temperature. In about 2 weeks you should have some seedlings. I start planting my seeds the end of Feb. or first of March, depending on the year. Once you get them going, sounds like this salvia would be a fast grower to get to be 6 ft. Debby

Ashley Falls, MA

Hi Debby,
I've gotten some feedback on this particular Salvia since I posted here. One gardener in Zone 8 grows it for the foliage alone, and so I am going to give it a try. Do you have any Salvias you particularly enjoy? I love the biennial Clary and Pineapple Sage and a gorgeus little one with dark foliage and electric blue spikes called Salvia sinaolensis. If you haven't tried it and love Salvias, you've got to get it. Select seeds sells it as a plant, and I JUST discovered Richter's Herbs has seeds for it too.

Milo, IA(Zone 5a)

Julie: I just might have to try your salvia tiliafolia and the salvia sinaolensis. I have ordered from Select Seeds and they have a fabulous variety of the old fashioned country garden flowers and herbs. I always try to have pineapple sage in the garden. Last year I planted Salvia Argentia, aka. old man sage, silver sage. I loved the silver white leaves, this year it should bloom and I will have seed. It is biennial like clary sage. Last year I planted the coral nymph sage, the hummingbirds really enjoyed it, it is supposed to reseed itself, was very easy to grow from seed. I just like to walk around the yard and take my hand and rub the different herbs, it is so refreshing just smell the aroma. I am trying different sages this year that are new to me. Of course I still have the culinary sage and will always have, plus many others, it does become an addiction.

Schenevus, NY

my dear friend Julie, I guess i know what i am getting this yr from you. Can't wait to see if the clary sage made it thru the winter.

Ashley Falls, MA

Hey em, what a hoot finding you here! The Salvia seeds just arrived and I'm ready to go to town, so get out that pick axe and start busting up that permafrost.

Ashley Falls, MA

OOps! apologoies to anyone that went to Richters catalog looking for Salvia sinaolensis. Thats Seedhunt that had seeds, not Richters. Alas, my order just arrived without this salvia as they're all out for the year! Guess I have to order early next year. Anyway Seedhunt has an incredible selection of Salvias for all you Salvia nuts out there so check them out(www.seedhunt.com)if you haven't already discovered them. And Select seeds has S.sinaolensis plants. j.

This message was edited Wednesday, Feb 28th 11:16 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.