Best Drought Tolerant Plants NOW!!

Donna in Douglas, GA(Zone 8b)

I'm just wondering due to the HIGH drought what plants are holding up for you?
You folks in North Ga. have it alot worst than us in the south. The shower's yesterday & today were a blessing for us. I suppose I should could ask what plant/plants are best for Xeriscaping now that we have No Rain/Water to speak of these days!

My-Salvia Purple Majesty is by far a tuff drought tolerant. Which I'll have some to share when cooler weather arrive. D-mail me if anyone what's some PM salvia. I have bunches to share!!!

My heart & prayers goes out to ALL of you in North Ga.
Donna

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

The only thing left blooming here is Purple Heart Wandering Jew, gerbera daisies, dianthus, blanketflower and my basil and oregano are taking off for some reason and snapdragons have recharged their batteries. I love the Walmart employees that don't know anything about plants but feel free to give you their 2 cents worth of info. These snapdragons were bought years ago and I was told they wont last in the cold. There is one lady there that is a plant nut and she told me if they get plants from the south (Fl) they are more likely to last longer.
We got a little rain yesterday morning before I woke up. I was sad that it didn't last all day. The ground here is like cement in some places, especially around daylillies that I planted a month ago :(

Susan praying for rain

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 7b)

This is a plant that I do nothing for except chop it down in spring. Great fall show of color.
Recently identified as...
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/318/

chris

Thumbnail by chris_lcf530

Oh Yea Chris
I have this beauty Mexican Mint Marigold or Texas Tarragon. If you were to cut it back in June or July it will make a nice mounded form by October. I love this one & a must have all around my gardens.

Donna

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

I want it too!! Do yall have any seeds to trade!??
:)
Susan

If I can find them, I will save you plenty. I will take some cuttings now with my other winter stuff and see if they root for you.

chris

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Put me on your seed list, Chris. I just added it to my "want to find to buy list". And by the way, you should add your picture to plant files. Yours shows the whole plant and really does the plant justice for folks who would like to get a visual of its height and width.

Salvias and West Texas Mist Flowers are in full force for me during this drought.

Chris if you run out of cuttings, I can divide a few of my texas tarragon in late fall.

Here's a picture of my forysthia salvia grows about 5' tall and a pretty tough salvia too.
Note the date on the picture is WRONG, it was taken 10-23-07!

This message was edited Oct 24, 2007 1:15 AM

Thumbnail by gapeahen

Thats a great looking salvia. It looks so full.
I didnt know I could chop the texas tarragon to make it mound. Cool.
Got u down for seeds, and I keep hearing about texas mist, I am going to look it up.

chris

Does anyone have the Texas mist growing in half shade? Is it as uncontrollable as some say?

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8b)

speaking from experience you cannot kill Mexican Petunias with drought. HD has a new non-invasive one called "Purple Rain" or "Purple Showers", it is not as vigorous as the species, stays 3 foot tall or so, and doesn't flop over or root run.

Last year I made a garden path with stepping stones and river rock, I planted Lemon Thyme there which I have always had trouble with because when it rains here it rains hard. That same Thyme has been going a year and a half without stopping, it loved the drought and has survived our recent rains because of the drainage.

Black and Blue Salvia and Salvia 'Hot Lips' laugh at drought. So does Passion Vine once established.

Oh! Bulbine and Aloes.....I've been enjoying succulents this year.

My spring bulbs and iris were not thrilled with the warm winter and dry spring this year, they did not perform very well. I just received delivery of daffodil bulbs from the FL daffodil Society, the ones I ordered are specifically good for SW GA so hopefully I'll have some color next spring.

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks Chris!! Do you like this??...
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1913/

It is blooming for me right now... but I don't know how it would do in drought as it is under irrigation from a well.. But I am going to be rooting lots and would love to trade :) I really like it.. late blooming, and the bees are all over it. Thanks!
:)
Susan

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Chris, the only uncontrolable part of West Texas Mist Flower,Conoclinium greggii, is it's blooming power. It does need space though but it is very manageable for it's place in the garden. I put a sprig of it under the shade of a pine tree recently, (actually by mistake) so I'll see what it will do in shade. Let me know if you want some. It's a bf magnet. Would you like for me to send you some?

My mexican petunia is in a pot so it has to behave, but yes it is a constant bloomer.
Susan, I have what I think is the same thing..( pic ). It was labeled...salvia elegans golden pineapple sage.
This one really does smell like pineapple, I love that the leaves are golden yellow, especially the new grows. I loved it so much that I rooted 6 more plants in mid Aug. They were transplanted into the ground about 3 weeks ago and are doing wonderful. They are about a foot tall and very full. I think they were the easiest clippings I ever did. They didnt love the drought and showed it by wilting, but they perked right back up with a good drink of pasta water. We eat alot of pasta.
Deb, I would love some Texas Mist. Let me find its new home and get it ready and I will D-mail you.

chris

Thumbnail by chris_lcf530
GA, GA(Zone 7b)

Is "West Texas Mist Flower (Conoclinium greggii)" the same thing as Hardy Ageratum?

My grandmother had some tall, straggly hardy ageratum that took over everything by seeds and runners. It even managed to hitch a ride on some plants she took with her when she moved and it took over beds there as well. I've dug up and thrown out gobs of the stuff. Evil plant !!!!

There were a few clumps of a hardy ageratum already at this house when I moved here but it is shorter and has a deeper coloration. It doesn't seem to be invasive but it is in bad soil and full blazing sun. The color and form of the plant is so much better that I'm letting it stay for now.

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

I don't know anything about hardy ageratum. West Texas Mist flower is not an evil plant IMHO.

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

I looked up Hardy Agreatum, Conoclinium coelestinum
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/625/
It is very similar to West Texas Mist Flower, Conoclinium : greggii, being in the same family and genius. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/53449/
However, WTMF is not invasive,(it's the good twin)like it's evil sister, the invasive HA. LOL
I would not want to be with out WTMF for it's blooming power and butterfly nectar food source.

GA, GA(Zone 7b)

Good to know! Thanks! :)
The butterflies really love the evil twin too, but that still doesn't make it worth growing in my opinion. They look very similar, so just be careful that you get the right one!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.