my first phal bloom

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

After having these orchads for nearly four years, and doing all I know to keep them healthy, I finely have some blooms on one, but I don't know what I did, but would love to know more about them.I have them by a window, and mist them often with a fine mist.I flush the orchads every week, and add O fert, but very sparingly.Really I don't know how to fert, and how much how often.I'm open to advice.Thank you, Mike

Thumbnail by mqiq77

Bump! I sure was hoping to hear from an experienced phal grower to see how I got this bloom(actually 3 buds), because the other phales would put forth a bloom stalk, and even one developed a bud, then dried up.I am so amaised at the blooms, and just want to know how to get the others to bloom also.( sorry I miss spelled orchid).Mike

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Here's some info. http://www.taygeta.com/phalaenopsis.html
I had to change something to fool them into spiking this year. I put them in high light and was very patient and many of them spiked this summer and continue now. Once they bloomed I moved them into less light.

Thank you boojum, that was helpful.I hope I can grow orchids with confidents, but now the last bud on the bloom spike has dried up.Don't understand why. Mike

These things happen :(( I have killed a few orchids only to buy the same one, but a healthy one which would thrive. But you've had these for 4 years! Maybe you should repot the one that lost the blooms and look at it's root health. Roots are everything with orchids. If the roots are rotting it means the medium is breaking down and staying too wet. Can't hurt to look and repot.

Would you repot with it in bloom, and would you remove the dead roots?I know, I'm full of questions.Thank you so much,Mike

You're not sposta repot in bloom but when I am desperate to save one, I've done it. Yes, I carefully remove any rotting roots. What do others suggest?

Houston, TX(Zone 8b)

I agree with you, boojum. I've repotted orchids in bloom in order to save the plant. Mike, If you lose the spike, which is probably not real healthy and full of flowers anyway, not a big deal. It will spike again with the proper attention, but you have to make sure those roots aren't rotting.

greenbud

Thank you, I have an orchid mix soaking now.Will repot today, and send pic of roots.Mike
OK, I have repotted the phal, and will send pics of plant.roots look better than I thaught.The old mix had broken down too much.Thanks everyone,Mike

This message was edited Nov 1, 2007 2:58 PM

Here is the orchid in new orchid mix.Mike

There is a question about the leaf that is changing color fast.Will it have a bearing on the life of the orchid?Mike

This message was edited Nov 1, 2007 8:26 PM

Thumbnail by mqiq77
Houston, TX(Zone 8b)

I've never been able to save a phal leaf once it starts turning yellow. Might as well leave it there until it's all the way yellow (unless someone with more knowledge suggests otherwise). It will grow new leaves. Try a high nitrogen urea-free orchid fertilizer.

Thank you for that information, and that brings to mind a new question;do I fert every week, as I flush the plant good, do I add fert. then?I really don't know if I need to fert every other week, as I have been doing, or after each flush.Thank you again.Mike

Houston, TX(Zone 8b)

many different people have varying philosophies about fertilization. i usually follow the recommendations on the package but cut the dosage in half. Better too little fert than too much that will burn the plant.

That makes good sence, sad to report that the phal in pic had crown rot, and is no more.Mike

Sigh :(

However, when at first,(first??), oh well who's counting??You don't suceed, buy another, and learn to be an orchid grower.Mike

Yup!! If you have 200, it's a lot less traumatic to lose one (I know).

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

Congrats to boojum for his photo contest win!

OK,boojum, way to go.Congratulation.Mike

Thanks! Made my day! Actually I'm not a guy Tommy but my namesake is!

Thumbnail by boojum
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks for the web site mentioned up at the top of the thread. I just acquired 4 of these in a trade.

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

Ooops! Sorry about that Booj!

I kinda liked it, Tommy. Meant I'm not easy to pidgeon hole. :)

I make that mistake all the time, so I don't go there.I know a lady with a name that usually applies to the other gender, and recieved a letter from the mariene recruter said "We are looking for a few good men", and she replied "me too".

Anyway, I'm looking for a healty phal to try again.Any information as to where to obtain one on line.Mike

Oh there are hundreds of websites. I've also bought phalaenopsis orchids at HD and grocery stores but also from orchids.com, orchidweb.com, and Santa Barbara Orchids.

Sounds easy, I'll check them out, and thank you.BTW, your name sake is very pretty, and looks like he has some kind of personality.Mike

Oh yeah, Mike! Mr. Stubborn! But a sweetie pie, too! Let us know what phal you get!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Boojum - congrats on doing so well in the photo contest - I especially loved the one of your roses & peonies, and the one of the passionflower is also spectacular! You're so multi-talented!

Joanne Ü

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Okay, needed to add that now that I know that Boojum is your dog, feels weird addressing you as Boojum...LOL

Gosh, Joanne, I'm just lucky to have a really wonderful place to grow flowers and shoot pics.
Boojum and I are just sharing a name. Besides he's a great dog!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.