Piccies Vol. 25

Brainerd, MN

Grandmaggie - love the lazy squirrel - and all the birds too!

Marlton, NJ

Nice going guys!

GM, Love the TT !

sybil- Nice Nuthatch!!

Beachwood, NJ(Zone 6b)

original_sybil- I see we have a similar type box/tree feeder! I am still trying for the shy nuthatch, he is way to quick for me so far! And my juncos should be arriving shortly!

Marlton, NJ

GM, the Nuthatch are really fast!

You have to kind of study their movements to find when their stillest moment is (not easy of course,lol).

Brainerd, MN

I may have posted this one before. My Nuthatches are not too tough to get on the mesh-sided feeders. They cling on to the sides and stay put for quite some time.

Thumbnail by original_sybil
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
I haven't heard of Dunnocks and Blue Tits being banded Resin, do you know who does it?

Technically, no-one bands Dunnocks and Blue Tits - 'banding' is a US term; over here, it's called ringing. But plenty of people ring them for various population studies, etc.

Quoting:
I haven't seen Chaffinches for a while, they tend to turn up early in the year.

Quoting:
I don't know what this one is, it was a long way off, looks to have a dark band edged white on it's wing and a Finch type of beak.

There you are, you have seen a Chaffinch now!!

Quoting:
Wallaby1... how big are your Blackbirds?

Same size as (and closely related to) American Robin. They behave much the same, too.

Quoting:
This is very funny! A Wood Pidgeon I saw fly onto a fragile lot of leaves, don't know what it was doing!

Eating acorns . . . it has to be fairly acrobatic to reach them out at the tips of the branches! [PS no 'd' in Pigeon ;-) ]

Resin

Klamath River, CA

Immature Mourning Dove ???

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

?

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

hey sybil..............told you they were moving. Today I had a Red-shouldered! I saw my first one last spring in a community north of here. Todays was in my own yard! If I hadn't learned some time ago to take the camera with me when I leave the house I'd have missed the shots! I was only going right across the hiway to the mailbox. Woohoo!

Thumbnail by tigerlily
Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

Flying away.

Thumbnail by tigerlily
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
Immature Mourning Dove ???

I'd agree

Resin

Brainerd, MN

tiger - very impressed! They are something, aren't they? I still can't get over how big they are. Keep posting! :)

Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

I was most awestruck by the gorgeous markings, but it did spook me when it took flight from my yard. (I hadn't looked up in the tree it flew from, as I usually do) HUGE!!! It flew just across the hiway, and landed near my mailbox. I'm very pleased it landed so close, and I really hope to see it again.

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Nice one tigerlily! Anyone else? lol!

I found a range map for MN on this site, I don't know if it includes your area sybil. They must have a satellite link to know where the best sites are!

http://www.raptor.cvm.umn.edu/raptor/info/redshoulderedhawk.html

http://biosci.cbs.umn.edu/%7Emou/maps/map008.gif

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/eco/nongame/projects/redhawk_guidelines.html

http://biosci.cbs.umn.edu/~mou/lists.html it's listed here.

Found a map of Crow Wing County, if I have got that right! The range map above does look to take in your area, just.

http://aolsearch.aol.co.uk/aol/image?query='Crow%20Wing%20County%20mn'&invocationType=imageTab

The elusive Jay was in the Oak tree at the end of my drive today, I got it from behind flying back to the woods. It later came back, gliding from one tree top to the next, so stealthy!

This I am certain is a Jay! One day I will get a proper picture of it!

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Klamath River, CA

This guy showed up with two females. (in the front yard this time) He went on guard duty while the females stuffed their craws.

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

+

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

about twenty minutes later a second male came in (40 feet to the right) with 5 females.

This message was edited Oct 20, 2007 6:36 PM

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

The first 2 females joined this second group.

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

It took about 10 minutes for the first male to realize that his females had joind the other goup, but when he did he hopped down and beat feet over to where they were.

Thumbnail by adelbertcat

Very pretty Quails adelbert!

A pair of Collared Doves were sunning themselves near the nesting Wood Pigeon (no 'd' - tell that to Walter), they always look so cute.

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Marlton, NJ

Very cute pics adel and wallaby!

Brainerd, MN

wallaby - Thanks for taking time with the research. I had found information to show that the rsh will nest here. I'm very excited about that! Wintering over - I found one site - lost track of it now - that showed that a nominal percentage would winter over.

Brainerd, MN

Busy birds today, even with the rain.

Downy Woodpecker, Nuthatch and Chickadee

Brainerd, MN

Downy wp and nuthatch

Brainerd, MN

Better pic of Downy

Brainerd, MN

Red-bellied wp and squirrel

Beachwood, NJ(Zone 6b)

Very nice original_sybil!
Here are some goldies from this morning.

Thumbnail by Grandmaggie
Jeffersonville, IN(Zone 6b)

Awesome pictures!!
Today it's been pretty busy at the feeder. A black capped (or carolina) chickadee....

Thumbnail by indiana_lily

another shot...
"what, no more food after this?!?"

and, I knew we had these guys around, but have never seen one until today, so I'm excited that I got this tufted titmouse!! First shot, back and semi-profile...

.... and gotcha!!!

Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

Waaa! Something got one of my sapsuckers!

I was just out again for a bird walk, and wondered why I hadn't seen my sapsucker this morning, as it spent a good deal of time on the apple tree just outside the back gate, and I've been seeing it several times a day, from before sunup until after sundown. What I did find was a pile of speckled feathers on the ground, only one wing intact. I'm bummed!

Marlton, NJ

Awww I'm so sorry to hear that tiger! That is definitely a bummer!

Nice pics guys!

indiana- Congrats on the TuTi; their really precious!

Marlton, NJ

WOOHOO!! New bird in the yard!

Last new one was a Red-breasted Nuthatch.

Today its a White-breasted Nuthatch!!

Pics aren't great but heres 2 of them. :-)))

Thumbnail by pelletory
Marlton, NJ

Last pic; isn't he cute? He was very brave also.

Thumbnail by pelletory

Wow!! How cool is that?!? Congratulations!

Marlton, NJ

Thanks I was so shocked when he showed up while I was out there w/ camera in hand!

Isn't it great when you actually have you camera at the right moment? :) They are very pretty, and wish we had them here.

Brainerd, MN

indiana_lily - what's the little guy with the crest?

pelle- I did not know there were two varieties of NH. I will have to pay closer attention.

Great pics everybody!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.