Purple siberian Iris Need information

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

Hi, I have purple iris, but will be first iris's I have grown. Please tell me about them. Where do I grow them. Do they come back, how tall do they get, etc.

Thanks for help ing me

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I have a link that might help and I know the experts here will tell you alot more about them. I have 1 Siberian and it's hardy and does come back. It's coming back where I thought I took it out!

Here's the link:

http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortnews/1997/3-28-1997/growiris.html

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

Thank you very much, I got lots of info, now all I have to do is figure out where to put them. Do you have any ideas about what would look good with them. I'm thinking of tilling and starting a "big" bed along the woods line. It would be at least 20 feet long and as wide as I have the back for. I wanted to put out
Bluebonnets, cockscomb and different wildflowers. Would they look good there?

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

In my opinion, irises look good anywhere! I don't know much about the bluebonnets and cockscomb but the irises would look good maybe behind the others fi they're tall, I have mine planted behind some daylilies, I have Caesar's Brother and it does well.

This message was edited Oct 27, 2007 3:27 PM

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks weggy12, I am glad to know to put them in the back. The cocks comb get between 18 and 24 inches, so maybe in front of them?

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Do the seeds from C. Brothers come true? Mine has many seed pods.
Teresa

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Seeds from perennials don't come true - only divisions are 100% accurate.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

What Pirl said is correct about siberian iris, however, Caesar's Brother is so mixed up in commerce, that no one knows the correct one now. Many of the Caesar's Borthers sold are seed strain, and it is likely you will get many of the ones from seed that look almost identical to a Caesar's Brother.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I've found that various Nepetas go very well with sibs, and most bloom at the same time.

That's one plant I've never had. I did see a low one this year that looked nice - maybe "Walker's Low"?

Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

Here is a picture of my catnip I believe it is walkers low, it blooms most of the summer and seeds, I should have some small plants come spring.

Thumbnail by cbrandenburg

That's nice and well behaved looking.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

I must have Walker's Too Tall, it is close to 3ft tall! It self sows like a weed too.

Oh no! Self-sowing is a problem here. Thanks for mentioning that fact.

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

I grow quite a few Siberians, but my climate is alot different from yours. Have you tried any bearded iris yet?

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.