when to prune butterfly bush

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

My butterfly bushes are almost taller than the house.
When should I prune these?
I also have a million seedlings that I have potted up - but I want to take cutings from the black knight that I got in a trade last year (it isnt huge - it is just one stalk) can I take a cutting from this one stalk at this time?

thanks for the advice

cheers
pebble

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Pebble
Cuttings root easier in the spring just as new growth begins. I prune lightly during the summer, leave the stalks on the plant thru the fall and winter and prune back hard in the spring. If it's too big now, I would cut it back but keep in mind that it blooms on new growth, so you will lose some of the flowers. You might also want to prune it as a standard, leaving 1-3 main trunks (stalks), removing the side branches and leaving the top.
Cala

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

I was going to try that method Calla, I think you suggested it to someone here who posted a picture of it. I could wait till winter and do this?

Pebble
I would either do it now or wait till spring. I hate to cut something back in the winter and then lose part of the plant. I usually start pruning on my butterfly bushes in early March. You may be in a warmer zone and can prune anytime.
Cala

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

NO Calla, I'm not in a warmer zone than you. So shall I wait till march then? egads! they are going to take over the house by then. But I trust your word, after all you have a nursery... so you must know. How are your brugs?
One of mine finally has 3 little itty bitty baby blooms on it.

Pebble
Mine have buds and a few blooms. I've got one that I'm hoping is the peach. I must have mixed up my labels.

If the butterfly Bush is too big, I say cut it back now, lol. Better that than have it take over the house!! DH said there are some at the nursery that he is going to cut back today. They are too tall and are top-heavy in the containers.
Cala

Hi Pebble,

Cala's right. Wait till early March to cut them back. I live in Wa, too. I cut all of mine back to under 2' tall in March, and they grow back up to full height by June-July. All I do at this time of year is take out any branches that are in the way (they grow into pathways sometimes).

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

Oh Doris, dont I know how they grow into pathways....I had one growing over a pathway and got mad and decided to transplant it - it was huge...over 7-8 ft tall, dragged it back to the back yard (3 people and a wheelbarrow) to an isolated place, transplanted it and yep, it died. I was heratbroken, but it had completely taken over the front walk and I had to do something. I guess I did the wrong thing.

LOL! I did the same thing last summer! You're not alone. I, too, have killed a Butterfly Bush!

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

We have several Butterfly Bushes; we always prune then in April. We cut them down to 6-8" above the ground
They are doing great in Full bloom right now

Paul

Philadelphia, PA(Zone 6b)

Gosh Pebble..you sound like me! I decided to move my Sungold butterfly bushes in late May to another spot and I could have kicked myself over when I saw that they went into shock and almost didn't recover. I really thought I was going to lose them but I did baby them everyday and they're now in their full glory of flowering...whewww! I cut mine down in the Spring when I see some green growth starting.
Trish

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

Trish, was it you who was going on about your yellow butterfly bush earlier in the spring? we were discussing the yellow ones and how the blooms are bigger etc - I hope that that isnt the one you shocked ....anyway, glad to hear your sungold has recovered.

This message was edited Friday, Aug 17th 5:08 PM

Philadelphia, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes, Pebble..the same ones! Whatever made me move them 2 feet in the garden had me learn a lesson..leave well enough alone! They're doing great now with those hugh flowers but I was holding my breath for quite awhile on these. This variety is the best performing Buddleia I ever had and I almost blew it..yikes!
Trish

Oklahoma City, OK(Zone 7a)

Can you start new bushes at this time of the year with cuttings? If so, I'd be delighted to pay for postage for some cuttings to root. I'm new to all of this and will try just about anything to add to my garden. I'm in zone 8.

Thanks.
Carla

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

Carla
I have some butterfly bushes that I can send you for postage if you would like, they are volunteers from last year, and I am not sure if they are purple (lavender really) or pink. I had a million and one sprout up all over the place, and I potted up as many as I could, then ran out of pots, and then started just ripping them out cause they were in the pathway....
Anyway, I can send you some in september, as I think it might be just too hot for them to travel now.

Let me know if you are interested.

Carla, do you have a million and one volunteers come up like I do? or was that just me being messy when I pruned...shaking the branches as I carried them over the walkway to the recycling bin? I mean to tell you I have them all over the place, and to think a couple of years ago I bought some butterfly bush seeds, and they didnt do a thing.......just goes to show it's easier to just let nature do its thing.....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.