why are iris's blooming now?

Waukegan, IL(Zone 5a)

While out for a walk this week I saw a bearded iris in full bloom. As I passed it I thought how pretty it looked all covered in dark purple flowers and a few steps further I came to a screeching halt. (Well, I didn't actually screech.) What is a bearded iris doing blooming in October in Northern Illinois? It seems to be one of those old time tough as nails purple iris but I have never seen one bloom in the fall. Now I see others on this forum are showing their reblooming irises. Are they specific varieties or is the weather responsible?

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I am no expert but the answer is both. Some iris rebloom, others don't. Weather definitely has something to do with it, if they are irises that rebloom. They tend to rebloom more in more southerly regions, but I, too, reside in zone 5a and have 1 rebloomer that actually reblooms. Very pleasant surprise. I am now adding other rebloomers to my garden. They are pretty whether they rebloom or not.

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

I am somewhere in zone 5 and have several rebloomers and really have pretty good luck. Not as many blooms as in spring but any bloom is appreciated in the fall. It sure confuses the folks I work with. LOL

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

It's partly the weather that's for sure. I have a very beautiful purple iris that is covered with buds on the verge of opening now. I posted a picture of the first one to open about a week ago. I noticed this evening that several more buds were starting to open. Looks like it will be quite a display, if we don't get any frost. (And yes, really am in Zone 4a). What a long strange fall it is this year.

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

I have planted 32 rebloomers over the years, but the most I've ever seen bloom was 6 clumps. I think my summers are a bit too short for the reblooming cycle. Most years, I only see Clarence TB, Immortality TB, Baby Blessed SDB and one historic purple .

Santa Ynez, CA

Hi All
I have hundreds of iris and a lot are re-bloomers, this year I had a lot of blooms here and Oct and Nov I am still getting a lot stalks coming, I am hopeing to get to them before the frost does, some first timers and I am very curious. our weather here is crazy and I think with the heat we have had that has a HUGE impact on them. Marie

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

LOW HO SILVER, EARL OF ESSEX and CLARENCE are still blooming dispite some freezes down to 16oF one night and on they bloom
:)
A

Santa Ynez, CA

I had Juicy Fruit, Immortality, Breakers, Pinkness, Habit which I don't think is a re-bloomer, a historic purple, Mil byers, Final countdown bloomed like crazy, I still have
Buckwheat, Her Kingdom, Trick or Treat, Pagan Pink trying to bloom before the frost.
M

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I am green with envy, makj. This is the time of year, when I would seriously consider moving to California with only the slightest nudge. Flowers in winter. What a delight! My back yard is buried in snow.

Santa Ynez, CA

pajaritomt
sorry, I can't imagine SNOW here, however our summers are hotter than *@!$%^*& and there are days, weeks when I can't go out and play in the dirt no matter how bad I want to get out there:)

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

So, maybe it amounts to the same amount of time out doors. Our time indoors depends on how tough we are. I would say that for most of us, it is about Nov. 15 until April 15, or May 1. - 5 to 5 1/2 months. Things start to bloom around April 1. Crocuses and such about a month earlier. I have a hard time with winters.

Santa Ynez, CA

we are pretty lucky here, really I can't complain as a lot of people have it pretty bad.
On the whole I would say a lot of the time I can go and do somethings, I have been know to be out working in the yard when it is lightly raining, my husband has come out before and asked "Did you know it was raining?" well duh I just get into a zone and want to finish. I also been out when it gets dark and I tell my corgi Christy, well if we can't see anymore I guess it is time to go in:) I would say I get most frustrated in the summer as I am not a heat person, beyond 90 and it is inside for me.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I have an iris blooming today. Pink Attraction. I saw a bloom stalk and brought it inside a few days ago.

It smells heavenly.

Thumbnail by pollyk
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

It has some nice increases on it, so I hope it does well.

I have a nice sheltered area, and will put the pot down in the ground when it's done blooming inside.

Thumbnail by pollyk

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.