Good book on hardy carnivorous plants?

Wymore, NE(Zone 5a)

Does anyone have any suggestions for books about carnivorous plants for zone 5a? Or one with botanical latin. I would like something that would give me the meanings of the terms, also would like a book with pronunciations. Thanks.

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

I don't know of any zone specific books. But I'll recommend "The Savage garden" and "Carnivorous plants of the United States and Canada".

Wymore, NE(Zone 5a)

Thanks tommyr, i've heard of the savage garden before. Was in Omaha last weekend, went to Boarders book store, they had nothing to look at. I'd like to be able to see a book before i buy it, apparently that's not going to be the case with this subject.

Peter and Marilee live and run their nursery out in California. His book "The Savage Garden" is good, very good and I do own it... but Donald Schnell's "Carnivorous plants of the United States and Canada" is probably more what you are looking for although you might seriously want to consider joining here too-
http://www.carnivorousplants.org/
You will find a wealth of articles on hardy CPs and new members get a dvd of back publications. We may never see you again if you get that DVD but you will be lost to a good cause;) Take a look at the ICPS website FAQs too while you're browsing. You don't need to be a member to look up any of the species that can grow best in your zone there.

Wymore, NE(Zone 5a)

I'll have to check that site out Equilibrium. Thanks. Still need to do some sealing on the bog. Leaks where the liner over laps. Think i'm going to try bentinite (although i have absolutely no idea how to spell it!)

Bentonite clay won't work for what you're trying to do. That's more of a product for larger scale projects. I've used it before know others who have and it definitely has its place but not for what you've got. If you do a search for bentonite, you'll find it most commonly used for large ponds... as in a couple acres or larger.

Try this product-
http://www.pondliner.com/RepairTape.htm

This should solve your problems. Steer clear of those little kits that sell you a 6" x 6" piece of patch for an exorbitant amount of money and go right for the tape.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.