Leaf Shredder Question

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

I have been toying with the idea of buying a Leaf Shredder . actually is the Deluxe Elecrtic leaf shredder... but I am not going to spend money before talking to you guys!!!!

http://www.gardeners.com/Deluxe-Electric-Leaf-Shredder/default/StandardCatalog.LeafDisposal_Cat.32-933.cpd

ok, so does any of you use this one?
does it work? how do you like it?
is this worth buying it?
any suggestions ?

Thanks for your imput!

North Augusta, ON

I just run em over with the lawnmower...or mulch em whole.....they break down.

Van Etten, NY(Zone 5a)

I use them whole to mulch roses and newer bulbs. Whatever I don't need goes right on the compost piles. When I remove the leaves from the roses, etc. in the spring I dump them on the compost piles.

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

I have one kinda like the one you are looking at. Somehow the plastic cord that you use to make it work got bent and now it just shreds the cord. It does make fast work of dry leaves - not so good on wet ones. I want the shredder/chipper that Gardeners has in their catalog. I love power tools.

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

Yankee, I actually want the shredder/chipper too, which makes more sense since I can also use for little branches...

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

bebop, what keeps them from blowing away when they're dry?

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

Hi--I bought this model last fall. My experience is that you either love it, in that it works for what you need it to do, or you hate it and resent that that it isn't a chipper/shredder.
I don't mow my own lawn, so using a mower to chop up leaves wasn't an option. I wanted something light, that I could lift up onto a plastic garbage can to receive the chopped leaves, move around my property easily, that would be electric rather than gas-powered. Mine has done all these things, reducing my large (primarily oak) leaves down to small approx. 1/2-1 inch pieces. It also handles pine needles, but NOT twigs of any size. This is where a chipper would be good.
I would say that for what this product IS--basically a string-drive weed whacker--it works fine. Just don't expect it to be a powerful or heavy-duty machine.
This machine takes two people to put together, and don't try assemblying it with someone if your relationship isn't rock-steady. DH nearly divorced me. (grin)

Edgartown, MA(Zone 7a)

Hi
I bought this model last spring and Cape Cod Gardener is correct putting this beast together will challenge the best of relationships. I do want to add that after I used mine for the second time my motor blew, I did the suggested trouble shooting and when nothing worked I contacted the company (Here in Mass.) and was unable to get anyone to return my phone call. or email. Weeks later I contacted the on line site where I purchased it and they contacted the manufacturer who after more trouble shooting sent me the wrong replacement part. Again no phone calls or emails returned again contacted the web site and the company finally returned my call (3 months have gone by) and their solution was I (at my cost) ship it back to them. Again months later my repaired shredder was returned (disassembled). A few weeks later the plastic coupling that holds the stand together has split. Now this may surprise you but even after all that I love having a shredder it has made a world of difference. Mowing with my lawn mower does not come close to what the shredder can do to my oak leaves. Keep in mind this is only good for leaves I even had trouble with cone flower stems. I have many garden buddies that have this as well but they were smart and bought theirs on ebay for much less than the $200.00 I paid. It is not unusual for them to not include the directions with the product and of course they are not on line I do have them scanned to file and have emailed them to two different folks so keep that in mind when you open the box and begin to panic. kt

Missouri City, TX

If I may join the discussion - DW bought me a 5hp Sears Shredder/Bagger. It is gas - not electric. But wasy to sweep the leaves into - the shute works in both a ground level position and an elevated position. It also has a separate shute for small limbs up to 2" in diameter.

It has been used for at least 5 seasons - love it.

Was recommended by a friend whose mom bought one about 8 years before we got ours.

Only had it tuned once. Change the oil once a year, check and clean the sparkplug at the same time and give the carb a good spray cleaning.

Had to learn how to start it, tho. Prime about 6 times, open throttle wide open, put your foot on it and pull hard. After the first cold start - fires easily for all restarts.

Have a sycamore that burys our yard and the neighbors, too. 30 minutes of shredding and I'm done.

The annual brush and limb trimming pile grows to about 6' high and about 15 ' long - that can take about 4 hours to devour. Makes great mulch!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.